Subject: Binary/Text files

From: Eric Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:40:09 GMT

First let me congratulate you on providing an *EXCELLENT* service.  Emacs
on NT is a real life saver for people moving over from UNIX.  Thank you,
thank you, thank you, thank you:)

I've come across a "feature" that causes binary files to become cluttered
with ^M when an NT text file is included.  I'm using untranslate.el for
files on my UNIX server, but when I include an NT text file, the whole file
gets treated like an NT text file.  I guess the problem comes down to
'insert-file-contents modifying the attributes of the whole file (buffer?),
when it reads something in; I would have thought it should just affect the
processing of the included region.  Maybe the text/binary processing should
be decided both as the file is read (to maybe strip ^M) and saved (to maybe
add ^M).

In GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i386-*-nt4.0) of Thu Aug 29 1996 on BANANA-FISH
configured using `configure NT'

-- 
                Cheers,
                        Eric

---------------------------------------------------
|Eric Barton          Barton Software             |
|9 York Gardens                                   |
|Clifton              Tel   : +44 117 974 2587    |
|Bristol BS8 4LL      Fax   : +44 117 974 2587    |
|United Kingdom       E-Mail: [email-masked]|
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Eric Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:58:33 GMT

Geoff,

Just an additional note...

1/ Do find-file on an NT text file
2/ Save it onto a UNIX file system (with untranslate.el loaded)
3/ Do revert-buffer (lots of ^M-s appear)

(2) should not have added the ^M-s on the way out?

Isn't the file on the O/S the only thing that has a type?  All the
stripping/adding ^M is surely meant to convert from typed file to generic
buffer.

-- 
         Respectfully,
                        Eric