Subject: Re: emacs 19.32 for win95 - window title wrong

From: Mickey Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 14:29:00 PDT

>> Back in 19.31, the title bar for my emacs window said
>> [email-masked], e.g. [email-masked].  Now it just says
>> emacs@MICKEYF_PENTIUM.  It apparently is looking in the windows registry
>> at the
>>
>>HKEY_LOCAL|MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\ComputerName\ComputerN  
ame
>>key instead.  Is this really what we want?

>By default now, Emacs doesn't load winsock until a network function is
>used (so that, on machines that are only intermittently connected to
>the network, running Emacs doesn't cause the dialup connection prompt
>to appear).  This means that Emacs can't figure out your FQDN on
>startup, and uses GetComputerName to name the title bar.

>You can workaround this by setting the configuration variable
>PRELOAD_WINSOCK, either in your environment or in the registry with
>the other Emacs keys (it doesn't matter what the value is).  Setting
>this variable causes Emacs to load winsock upon startup, and it can
>now determine what your FQDN is to name the title bar.

>The installing process is going to have to be amended to allow people
>to specify whether they are always connected to a network or not.

Can it check to see whether winsock is already loaded before trying to load 
it?  On a system which is already connected to a network, winsock should 
already be there.

Also, I seem to have the necessary information in my registry.  From my 
registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP]
"LMHostFile"="C:\\WIN95\\lmhosts"
"NodeType"="1"
"EnableDNS"="1"
"HostName"="mickey2"
"Domain"="stac.com"
"SearchList"=""
"NameServer"="199.106.174.6"
"Lanabase"="0"

Out of that, I could paste together HostName and Domain to come up with 
mickey2.stac.com, which is the proper name for my system.  Is this standard 
setup, or specific to my PC?

BTW, I know 19.32 just became available for win95 in precompiled format.  Do 
you know if 19.33 will be available for win95 soon?  (Boy, I also wish 
someone would also precompile it for dos, since I need both flavors 
available, and I'm still stuck at 19.30 for dos... but I know that's not 
your baby.)