Subject: Ongoing XEmacs port to WindowsNT

From: Marc Paquette <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:13:58 -0400

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that David Hobley and me have started to
port XEmacs (version 20.1) to Windows NT.

Parts of this port are based on yours of GNU Emacs 19.34 (and we are
very grateful to you for having completed this port).  David and me have
been careful at keeping the correct attributions to you and to the FSF
when we adapt files that are part of GNU Emacs 19.34.  However, if you
ever find something not correctly attributed, please let us know as soon
as possible.

As of XEmacs 20.1 beta11, the changes for NT are part of official beta
distributions.  Therefore, you should be able to have a look at the
distribution on ftp.xemacs.org if you want to.

Regards,
-- 
Marc Paquette
[email-masked]

---

From: Marc Paquette <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:14:47 -0400

Geoff Voelker wrote:
> 
> Marc,
> 
> Thanks for letting me know.  I appreciate your taking the time and
> effort to make proper attributions, and I want to take this
> opportunity to make sure that Andrew Innes' efforts are properly
> attributed, too.  Andrew has done a tremendous amount of work on the
> NT port, and he has made improvements in almost all areas of the
> system: what you see before you wouldn't be what it is without Andrew.
> 

Ok, I'll make sure Andrew's name is also mentionned when talking about
the basis of this port.

> I will check out the port when I get an opportunity.  Out of
> curiosity, and because I'm too lazy right now to unpack the source, I
> sort of remember David previously saying something about using X
> libraries to do the port; are you indeed using the X libraries?
> 

Yes first step is to use the X libraries, and we're pretty close to have
it working.  I'm currently writing code to be able to use it as a
Windows CONSOLE application (the idea is to get something similar to tty
support).  It is very preliminary, I haven't even tried to compiled it
yet.  If you or Andrew have any thaughts on this, I would be pleased to
hear it, even if it is to say "It's impossible, don't do it.".

Finally, I intend to make it a native Win32 UI application as the last
step.  This is where the biggest effort will be required from me (and
anyone who will be willing to contribute) since this means adding
support for XEmacs features such as toolbars and inlined images.

If all goes well, we'll end up with a XEmacs having X, CONSOLE and Win32
GUI capabilities.

> Good luck in your efforts.  I know that there will be a large number
> of UNIX xemacs users who will be happy to have an xemacs port.  And if
> you have suggestions that you think we should know about, I would
> appreciate them.
> 
> -geoff
> 

Thanks again to you and Andrew.

-- 
Marc Paquette
[email-masked]