Subject: Re: Getting italic fonts (was Re: fonts in Info mode)

From: John Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:08:41 -0600

Ron Forrester writes:

 > Can you explain the problem with having fonts of differing heights
 > (from an Emacs perspective)?

Just wanted to mention that this is one of the differences between GNU
Emacs and GNU XEmacs.  The latter supports variable-height lines.

Here are some other differences, culled from the XEmacs FAQ.  Visit
www.xemacs.org for more info.

      It looks nicer. 
     *Many more bundled packages than GNU Emacs, all properly integrated
        with XEmacs (e.g. VM).
     *Binaries are available for many common operating systems. 
      Face support on TTY's. 
      A built-in toolbar. 
      Better Motif compliance. 
      Some internationalization support (full MULE support starting with
        20.0). 
     *Variable-width fonts. 
     *Variable-height lines. 
      Marginal annotations. 
     *ToolTalk support. 
      XEmacs can be used as an Xt widget, and can be embedded within
        another application. 
     *Horizontal and vertical scrollbars (using real toolkit scrollbars) 
      Better APIs (and performance) for attaching fonts, colors, and other
        properties to text. 
     *The ability to embed arbitrary graphics in a buffer. 
      Completely compatible (at the C level) with the Xt-based toolkits. 
      First production Web Browser supporting Style Sheets 

* - Primary reasons I use XEmacs everywhere I can, and hope a 95/NT
    effort for XEmacs gets underway sometime.

+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|John A. Turner         |"Music is the cup which holds the wine of silence;|
|Los Alamos Natl. Lab.  |  sound is that cup, but empty;                   |
|e-mail: [email-masked]|    noise is that cup, but broken."               |
|                       |                        - Robert Fripp            |
+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+