Subject: rec.pets.dogs: Canine Allergies FAQ
From: [email-masked] (Cheryl Minnier)
Date: 17 Apr 2004 11:27:10 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.info,rec.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: dogs-faq/medical-info/canine-allergies
URL: http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/canine-allergies.html
Last-modified: 07 Nov 1997

=======
There are nearly 100 FAQ's available for this group.  For a complete
listing of these, get the "Complete List of RPD FAQs".  This article
is posted bimonthly in rec.pets.dogs, and is available via anonymous ftp
to rtfm.mit.edu under pub/usenet/news.answers/dogs-faq/faq-list, via
the Web at http://www.zmall.com/pet_talk/dog-faqs/lists/faq-list.html, or 
via email by sending your message to [email-masked] with
send usenet/news.answers/dogs-faq/faq-list
in the body of the message.

This article is Copyright 1997 by the Author(s) listed below. 
It may be freely distributed on the Internet in its entirety without
alteration provided that this copyright notice is not removed.  
It may NOT reside at another website (use links, please) other
than the URL listed above without the permission of the Author(s).  
This article may not be sold for profit nor incorporated in other 
documents without he Author(s)'s permission and is provided "as is" 
without express or implied warranty.
==========

                     Skin and Allergy Problems in Dogs
                                      
Author

   Cheryl Minnier, [email-masked]
   Copyright 1996 by the author.
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
Table of Contents

     * Introduction
     * Inhalant Allergies
     * Food and Flea Bite Allergies
     * References
       
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
Introduction

   The most common medical complaint we see in dogs is skin or ear
   related. Unlike humans who react to allergens with nasal symptoms,
   dogs react with skin problems. These problems may range from poor coat
   texture or length, to itching and chewing, to hot spots and self
   mutilation. Allergies may also play a part in chronic ear infections.
   To make matters more difficult to diagnose and treat, thyroid disease
   may add to the problem as well.
   
   In order to overcome these frustrating symptoms your approach needs to
   be thorough and systematic. Shortcuts usually will not produce results
   and only add to owner frustration. This article will cover diagnosing
   and treating; inhalant, food, and flea allergies. I will also briefly
   discuss thyroid disease and immune mediated disorders.
   
   Remember, your best source of information is your vet. Many vets are
   now recognizing the need for holistic allergy treatment instead of the
   tried and true (and possibly ineffective or dangerous) standby of
   corticosteroids. If your vet is not helpful, keep looking until you
   find someone you are comfortable with. You need to remember though,
   that the success or failure of treatment will rest mainly on you.
   There is no magic pill to deal with these problems. Unfortunately,
   there is also no "cure", only systematic treatment options. Much of
   the information below is taken from "Guide to Skin and Haircoat
   Problems in the Dog" by Lowell Ackerman, DMV.
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
Inhalant Allergies

   Substances which can cause an allergic reaction in dogs are much the
   same as those which cause reactions in people including pollens, dust
   mites and molds. A clue to diagnosing these allergies is to look at
   the timing of the reaction. Does it happen year round? This may be
   mold or dust. If the reaction is seasonal, pollens may be the culprit.
   
   Symptoms of inhalant allergies include: SCRATCHING, BITING, CHEWING AT
   FEET AND CONSTANT LICKING. The itching may be most severe on feet,
   flanks, groin and armpits. Dogs may rub their face on the carpet. Ear
   flaps may become red and hot. Chronic ear infections may follow. Skin
   becomes thickened, greasy and has a strong odor. Hot spots may develop
   due to irritation from constant chewing or scratching, which is then
   followed by infection. Allergies have also been implicated as a
   possible cause of Acral Lick Granulomas, a frustrating, treatment
   resistant condition whereby the dog creates a sore on his skin from
   constant licking
   
  DIAGNOSIS
  
   If a dog has the above symptoms and responds well to the treatment
   measures outlined below, no further diagnostic tests may be needed. If
   the problem is severe and does not respond to simple measures, allergy
   skin testing can be done. A portion of the skin is shaved and a
   variety of substances are injected into the skin to see if they
   provoke a reaction. If so, an individual series of injections are
   formulated to give the dog over a period of time (there are blood
   tests designed to identify allergens without the skin testing, however
   their efficacy had not been proven. They should be reserved for cases
   where skin testing is not possible).
   
  TREATMENT OPTIONS
  
   Symptomatic Therapy
          Treating the dogs symptoms may include; cool baths with or
          without colloidal oatmeal, Epsom salts, or medicated shampoos.
          This can be done frequently but provides only temporary relief.
          Caution should be used with sprays and ointments because many
          contain potentially harmful substances. According to Dr.
          Ackerman, Dermacool is a safe spray containing witch hazel.
          Cortispray is a low dose, nonsystemic cortisone spray which can
          be safely used for short periods of time.
          
   Immunotherapy
          Allergy shots are very safe and many people have great success
          with them, however, they are very slow to work. It may be six
          to twelve months before improvement is seen. I spoke with Dr.
          Christine Johnson, a veterinarian with the dermatology
          department of the University of Pennsylvania, about intradermal
          skin testing for inhalant allergies. She reports the average
          success rate is 70-75%. This rate is for dogs showing any
          improvement at all. At U of P. the cost for the procedure is
          $69.00 for the exam, $122.00 for the sedation and testing, and
          $85.00 for the first 5 months worth of vaccine. After that
          vaccines are purchased in 7 month supply for $65.00. Substances
          that are tested include cats(!), feathers, wool, molds, dust,
          trees, insects, plants and pollens. Before testing, your pet
          must be free from all steroids, oral or injected (including
          those found in ear and eye medicines) for a specified period of
          time in order for the test to be valid. In all about 60
          different substances are tested for.
          
   Corticosteroids
          These compounds reduce itching by reducing inflammation.
          Unfortunately, they also affect every organ in the body.
          According to Dr. Ackerman, steroids should be considered only
          when the allergy season is short, the amount of drug required
          is small or as a last resort to relieve a dog in extreme
          discomfort. Side effects can include increased thirst and
          appetite, increased need to urinate and behavioral changes.
          Long term use can result in diabetes, decreased resistance to
          infection and increased susceptibility to seizures. You can
          recognize steroids by the suffix "-one", such as cortisone,
          dexamethasone, prednisone..etc.. In short, alternatives to
          steroid therapy should always be considered.
          
   Antihistamines
          Antihistamines can be used with relative safety in dogs. About
          one third of owners report success with them. The major
          drawback, as with people, is sedation. Dr. Ackerman recommends
          that a minimum of three different types of antihistamines be
          tried before owners give up on this therapy. According to Dr.
          Johnson, the most common problem with this type of treatment is
          that owners give the drugs at doses that are too low. Check
          with your vet on correct dosing. Examples of antihistamines
          commonly used for dogs include: Tavist, Benadryl,
          Chlortrimeton, Atarax and Seldane. Personally, I have seen the
          best results with Atarax.
          
   Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
          These fatty acids are natural anti-inflammatory agents. They
          reportedly are helpful in 20% of allergic dogs. My own
          experience puts this figure a little higher. They are certainly
          worth a try because they are not harmful and have virtually no
          side effects. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish oils
          (especially krill and cod) and omega-6 fatty acids are derived
          from plants containing gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), such as oil
          from the evening primrose. These supplements are different from
          those sold to produce a glossy coat. They tend to reduce
          inflammation that may lead to skin sores but are not as
          effective in reducing itching. Products that contain both
          omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids include: Omega Pet, Derm Caps,
          and EFA-Z Plus.
          
   Environmental Control
          If you know which substances your dog is allergic to avoidance
          is the best method of control. Even if you are desensitizing
          the dog with allergy shots, it is best to avoid the allergen
          altogether. Molds can be reduced by using a dehumidifier or
          placing activated charcoal on top of the exposed dirt in your
          house plants. Dusts and pollens are best controlled by using an
          air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Air conditioning can also
          reduce circulating amounts of airborne allergens because
          windows are then kept closed.
          
   Prevention
          While there is nothing you can do to prevent a rescue dog from
          developing allergies, breeders should be aware that allergic
          dogs SHOULD NOT BE BRED!!! Dr. Johnson confirmed that there is
          clinical proof that allergies are inherited!
          
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
Food and Flea Bite Allergies

   The previous section of this article dealt with atopy or inhalant
   allergies. This article will deal with food allergies or to be more
   precise, food sensitivities. Much of the information presented here is
   drawn from "Hair and Skincoat Problems in the Dog" by Lowell Ackerman
   D.V.M. and an interview with Dr. Scott Krick of the VCA Sinking Spring
   Veterinary Hospital. Food allergies account for only about 10% of
   allergy problems in dogs, however they are easily treated so it makes
   sense to test for them if you suspect they may be the culprit of your
   dog's skin problems.
   
   Like inhalant allergies, food sensitivities primarily manifest
   themselves with itchy skin. Other symptoms include anal itching,
   shaking of the head, ear inflammations, licking front paws, rubbing
   faces on carpeting and rarely vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence,
   sneezing, asthma like symptoms, behavioral changes or seizures. Many
   people don't suspect food allergies as the cause of their dog's
   itching because their pet has been fed the same food all its life and
   has just recently started having symptoms. However, animals can
   develop allergies to a substance over time, so this fact does not rule
   out food allergies. Another common misconception is that dogs are only
   sensitive to poor quality food. If the dog is allergic to an
   ingredient it doesn't matter whether it is in premium food or the most
   inexpensive brand on the market. One advantage to premium foods is
   that some avoid common fillers that are often implicated in allergic
   reactions.
   
  DIAGNOSIS
  
   Dogs are not allergic to a dog food per se, rather they react to one
   or more of the ingredients in the food. Some of the most common
   culprits are beef, pork, chicken, milk, whey, eggs, fish, corn, soy,
   wheat and preservatives. Many animals are now developing allergies to
   lamb as well. This was once thought to be very hypo-allergenic, but
   the more it is used, the more sensitivities are springing up.
   
   The first step in diagnosing a food allergy is to eliminate all
   possible allergens and feed ONLY a homemade diet with ingredients the
   dog has never eaten before. The diet should be a protein and a starch.
   Good examples are one part lamb, rabbit or venison mixed with two
   parts rice or potatoes. NOTHING else can be fed during this time; no
   biscuits, chewable heartworm pills, chew toys or any table scraps!!
   You must also keep the dog away from feces if he or she is prone to
   eating stool.
   
   This diet should only to be fed for a short period, while testing for
   allergies. It is not nutritionally complete enough for long term use.
   Check with your veterinarian before beginning the test. If the
   symptoms improve during the trial diet, go back to the original food
   for several days. If symptoms reoccur you know that something in the
   food is causing the reaction. The next step is to return to the trial
   diet and add one new ingredient a week (i.e. add beef for one week and
   if no symptoms occur add corn the next week for one week).
   
   Once you have discovered the allergen you can look for a commercial
   food which does not contain that ingredient. According to Dr.
   Ackerman, approximately 80% of dogs with food allergies can be
   maintained on a commercial hypo-allergenic diet. Some of the common
   hypoallergenic diets include "Nature's Recipe", "Sensible Choice" and
   "Natural Life". "Nature's Recipe" makes a lamb and rice food, a
   venison and rice diet and a vegetarian diet, none contain chemical
   preservatives. "Natural Life" also makes a preservative free, lamb and
   rice food called Lamaderm. "Sensible Choice" is a third brand that is
   considered hypoallergenic because it contains neither wheat or corn
   and comes in a lamb and rice formulation.
   
   Note: just because a food is labeled "Lamb and Rice" do not assume it
   is hypoallergenic. Many contain wheat, corn, soy, beef or
   preservatives. This process of elimination is trying and time
   consuming. You should be aware that it may take up to 10 weeks to see
   an improvement. However, it is the best method available to test for
   food allergies. You may wish to try switching your dog to one of the
   foods listed above for a month as a trial. If the dog shows
   improvement you know you are dealing with a food sensitivity, you just
   won't know which ingredient to avoid. If there is no improvement, you
   will need to begin the elimination testing.
   
  Flea Allergies
  
   This type of reaction, again usually severe itching, is not to the
   flea itself but rather to proteins in its saliva. Dr. Ackerman writes
   that dogs most prone to this problem, interestingly enough, are not
   dogs who are constantly flea ridden, but those who are exposed only
   occasionally! A single bite can cause a reaction for five to seven
   days, so you don't need a lot of fleas to have a miserable dog.
   
   To test for flea allergies, a skin test is performed which must be
   read in fifteen minutes and again in forty eight hours. Unfortunately
   injections to desensitize are not very effective because it is hard to
   collect enough flea saliva to make a serum!
   
   For dogs with this problem a strict flea control regime must be
   maintained. We would caution you, however, against using strong
   chemical preparations on your dog. Often times the flea control
   program produces more harmful effects than the fleas, including
   seizures and skin problems, so please use caution.
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
   Third section, coming soon!
     _________________________________________________________________
                                      
References

   Ackerman, L.: _Guide To Skin and Haircoat Problems in Dogs_. Alpine
   Publishing, 1994: 7-19.
     _________________________________________________________________

    Skin and Allergy Problems in Dogs FAQ
    Cheryl Minnier, [email-masked]
    
                                 Hosted by
                                  K9 WEB