Subject: The Net-Tamer FAQ
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Hawkins)
Date: 17 Apr 2004 11:27:38 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.comp.shareware.nettamer,alt.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: off-line-readers/net-tamer
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 1999/01/18
Version: 2.19
Maintainer: Jeff Hawkins <[email-masked]>

Recent Changes To This Document
-------------------------------
         This file is now over 104 kbytes long (106476 bytes) and contains
         approx. 15134 words from 2092 different (unique) words.

Jan 1999 Version 2.19. Just a little touch up here and there. Used a section
         from the Monster Truck FAQ to answer a question about `finding and
         using more POP3 accounts'. Cleaned up the English a little! Spell
         checked the document!

         Added a little info about the dreaded E-Mail virus! Also Y2k and
         running Net-Tamer under Linux and the Dos Emulator. Added a URL for
         Caldera's Open Dos. Also a couple questions about the E-mail address
         list.

Nov 1998 Version 2.18. Added some info about Chap/PAP logins. Reference to
         RFC 951. A couple URLs for screen reader demos.

Nov 1998 Version 2.17. Added/Changed Uncle Dave's address! Added some info
         about the PRU, DLU, AND IEU files.

------------------------------------
| Finding the Latest Net-Tamer FAQ |
------------------------------------

The Net-Tamer FAQ has grown very large! If you're having trouble reading
the FAQ with Net-Tamer's built in Reader, try saving to disk and viewing
it from there with a different viewer! This goes for any large document
Net-Tamer's Reader.exe has problems with!

Retrieving the Net-Tamer FAQ via E-mail from the mail server at M.I.T.
will produce a multi-part document that Net-Tamer's built in Reader should
be able to handle!

The latest version of The Net-Tamer FAQ will be sent once a month to the
Usenet groups alt.comp.shareware.nettamer, alt.answers and news.answers.
You may also retrieve the file by anonymous FTP at one of these sites:

     ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/off-line-readers/net-tamer

     ftp://ftp.faqs.org/faqs/off-line-readers/net-tamer

You may request The Net-Tamer FAQ via e-mail by sending a message to:

        [email-masked]

Enter only the line below in body of message.

        send usenet/news.answers/off-line-readers/net-tamer

The Net-Tamer FAQ is also available on CompuServe in the DOS/Win Internet
SW Library (library 4) of the Internet Resources Forum (GO INETRES)

A HTMLized version of The Net-Tamer FAQ is available at:

        http://www.landfield.com/faqs/off-line-readers/net-tamer
        http://www.faqs.org/faqs/off-line-readers/net-tamer

Before You Write...
-------------------

Please make sure you have read the latest version of this FAQ and all the 
Net-Tamer docs. before writing to the program author, the list, or the 
newsgroup with questions.

Don't give up, if your question isn't answered here or you just don't 
understand then ASK.

Net-Tamer Web Page
------------------

If you'd like to keep up with the latest updates and announcements of
new versions, check out the Net-Tamer HOME PAGE.

        http://www.nettamer.net

To subscribe to the Net-Tamer mailing list send a message to:
-------------------------------------------------------------

        [email-masked]

In the body of the message include the word:

        subscribe

To post to Net-Tamer list server send your message to:
------------------------------------------------------

        [email-masked]

Q.  I would really like a digest version of the Net-Tamer mailing list
    but can't find if a list command exists to set this up.
    -------------------------------------------------------

A.  This option does exist (very recent). Send a message to:

        [email-masked]

    With these words in the body:

        subscribe digest

    Warning: Anyone who subscribes to the digest version and ends up replying 
    while quoting an entire digest to the list will be quickly banned from 
    receiving further digests!

Acknowledgements
----------------

Thanks to the many users who ask questions and provide the follow-up
answers on the Net-Tamer mailing list and the usenet newsgroup. Your
input makes up the bulk of this FAQ!

----------
Disclaimer
----------

The current, previous, and/or original authors make no claims as to fitness
for any purpose or absence of any errors, and offer no warranty. Read at
your own risk.

Use of the first person (`I') in this document may be remnants of an earlier
authors' comments. Please check this before assuming that the current 
maintainer wrote everything herein (I didn't).

[email-masked] (Jeff Hawkins)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
|  The Net-Tamer FAQ -- Internet In A Thimble! -- The Net-Tamer FAQ |
---------------------------------------------------------------------

        Table of Contents

        I.    GENERAL and INTRO
        II.   GETTING STARTED
        III.  SETUP TROUBLE SHOOTING

        IV.   ON/OFF LINE OPERATIONS
        V.    VISUALLY IMPAIRED USERS
        VI.   PALM TOP USERS
        VII.  XT/286 Users

        VIII. OTHER SOFTWARE Tips and Tricks
        IX.   GRAPHICS ON THE 386
        X.    Suggested Reading list
        XI.   FAQ History List (Less Recent Changes?)

You should skim section I for General Info, section II is now the setup
info! Section III has some troubleshooting tips! Section IV covers some
ON/OFF Line Operations and then read any other section which might pertain
to you.

See Section II also for a Template for recording your Setup Data! And if
you need to do something `out of the ordinary' check section VIII for info
on additional programs.

You might also want a Hardware Setup Template. A excellent one can be
found in many PC hardware books. List the device names and the IRQ's!

I. GENERAL and INTRO
--------------------

-------------------
About Beta Versions
-------------------

Warning: You should be very experienced with Net-Tamer before you attempt
loading a Beta version unless Dave tells you to try it to `fix' a problem
you're experiencing. The warnings above about upgrading should be doubled
for anyone considering running a Beta version.

If you upgrade from version 1.09 or earlier to a higher version you'll need
to re-enter all your setup info!

The files on the Home Web Page are correct and current AFAIK 8-)

        http://WWW.Nettamer.net

----------------------------
Changing Systems or Versions
----------------------------

Upgrade Warning: If you have Net-Tamer running on your machine and you
decide to upgrade from one version to another. Save the copy that is
working to another disk with all underlying directories.

Here's a command you can use with dos 6.0 or higher If you pare down the
whole Net-Tamer directory structure to the size of your floppy drive:

        xcopy c:\tamer\beta A:\ /s /e /v

You can also do this with PKZIP and not worry so much about the size
of the directory and any subdirectories. Pkzip has a excellent help
screen available if you enter pkzip, at a Dos prompt, with no parameters.

You may optionally save to another directory structure (or tree) and/or
install the upgrade to either a new or the old directory.

Changing systems: If you have Net-Tamer running on your machine and you
decide to upgrade or change to another machine, Save the copy that is
working to another disk with all underlying directories as above and
install it on the new machine.

If you're going from a XT to a 386 get the XT version working on the new
machine then save off as outlined above and only then install the 386
complete archive. This may make it easier to get Net-tamer working with
the new system. The XT version should work on any machine including many
Palmtops.

Of course the 386 version works on any 80x86 type processor at 386 and
above. A 80186, V20, V30, V40, or 80286 must run the XT version unless
(maybe) it's a Palmtop.

-------------
Why Register?
-------------

Unlike some shareware programs or "DEMOs" Net-Tamer is not severely
"crippled". Still there are five things that registration does.

      1) It removes the delay and please register message.
      2) It allows you to turn off the Net-Tamer "advertisement" which
         is attached to email and usenet messages that you send.
      3) It allows you to send "mass email".
      4) It allows you to send me (Dave) suggestions for upgrades (that
         I will actually pay attention to).
      5) It keeps me (Dave) in business<G>.

New (as of Oct. 1998) Mailing Address and Voice Phone:

Net-Tamer, Inc.
9989 West Atlantic Blvd.
Coral Springs, FL 33071-6575
Voice (954) 341-4885
FAX   (954) 341-0229

Support hours are from 6:00AM to 6:00PM EST.

via E-mail
[email-masked] (Uncle Dave's New E-mail Address)

[email-masked] (Chris Colston's New E-mail Address)

Q.  What is Net-Tamer and what can Net-Tamer do?
    --------------------------------------------

A.  Net-Tamer is a DOS shareware Internet connectivity package! This means
    Net-Tamer will run on DOS only computers including Palmtops, Laptops and
    even XTs! Net-Tamer will also run as a Windows 3.1 or Win95 Application!

    Net-Tamer will capture E-Mail and Usenet messages to files that you can
    later read while you are off-line with the included reader. This saves
    you connect time and money, or (if your access to the net is unlimited)
    frees up the telephone, so your spouse (parents?) won't gripe as much
    <Grin>. While reading your messages you can write replies or new messages
    that Net-Tamer will upload to your service on its next call.

    Net-Tamer has many more features. It also does FTP file transfers,
    Telnet, and World Wide Web. The web stuff is a bit tricky yet, but with
    each new version does get better. Net-Tamer's speed will blow Netscape or 
    similar programs away, already.

Q.  What about `Real Audio' Support?
    --------------------------------

A.  Uncle Dave can't find the specs for Real Audio and until the specs
    become available, Net-Tamer won't (can't?) support `Real Audio'!

+   Someone mentioned using Net-Tamer to `grab' Real Audio Files and use
+   Windows Raplayer to play them off line!

Q.  Where can I get a copy of Net-Tamer?
    ------------------------------------

A.  The release versions of Net-Tamer are regularly posted to the
    following FTP sites:

       ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/connect/
       ftp://ftp.simtel.net/msdos/internet/

    Or you may find them at the author's home page:

       http://www.nettamer.net

    look for derivatives of these filenames:

       Nxxx-386.ZIP  <--- For systems based on 80386SX or higher CPUs
       Nxxx-XT.ZIP   <--- For systems based on 8088 through 80286 CPUs
       Nxxx-PT.ZIP   <--- For H/P "Palmtop" systems

       (Where "xxx" is the version number: ie; 108 for version 1.08)

Q.  Where can I find a copy of the `Famous' XT version 1.08 of Net-Tamer?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Excellent question (is it really famous though?)! Net-Tamer 1.08xt will
    run on any DOS-PC, from the slowest XT to the fastest Pentium. Laptops as
    well as XTs and ATs with Hercules cards even. The ZIPped package is about
    429 KB and available at this URL.

        http://www.inti.be/hammer/nt108xt.zip

Q.  I want to run Net-Tamer from DOS but I need a copy of DOS!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

A.  Try OpenDOS. Get the newest version (excellent and free for home use!).

        http://www.caldera.com

Q.  I can't get a grip on all this `lingo'?
    ---------------------------------------

A.  Me neither, but don't worry, there are plenty of glossaries available
    and a good one is included in the Net-Tamer Doc's! See also the URL
    for `Ask Jeeves' elsewhere in this FAQ and if you can find it, get a
    copy of BGI13, a hyper-text tutorial on the Internet that will run
    from a Dos prompt!

    In E-mail and Usenet messages, words often can't convey the facial
    expressions or emotions involved in the message! You'll see strings
    of characters hooked together called emoticons used to help express
    feelings!

    Here are some emoticons you might find being used on the InterNet:

    :-) or :)   =  Smile                ;-) or ;)   =  Wink
    ;-( or :(   =  Frown                :'-(   =  Crying
    :'-)   =  Happy & Crying            :-@    =  Screaming
    :-&    =  Tongue Tied               >:-<    =  Mad
    :-D    =  Laughing                  :-/    =  Skeptical
    <:-|   =  Dunce                     O:-)    =  Angel (Innocent)
    :-*    =  Kiss                      $-)    =  Yuppie
    8-)    =  Excited                   :-{    =  Pouting
    %-)    =  Cross-eyed                :-X    =  Oops
    :-O    =  WOW!                      :-b...    =  Drooling

    Many visually impaired users prefer receiving mnemonic abbreviations!

    BTW    =  By The Way                FAQ    =  Frequently Asked Question
    F2F    =  Face to Face (Meeting)    FWIW   =  For What It's Worth
    GOK    =  God Only Knows            <BG>   =  Big Grin
    *G*    =  Grin                      <G>    =  Grin
    <GRIN> =  Grin (really)             HHOK   =  Ha, ha - Only Kidding
    HHOS   =  Ha, ha - Only Serious     IMHO   =  In My Humble Opinion
    LOL    =  Laughing Out Loud         OTOH   =  On The Other Hand
    TTYL   =  Talk (type) To You Later  AFAIK  =  As far as I know
    ROFL   =  Rolling On the Floor Laughing

Q.  What about the E-mail virus?
    ----------------------------

A.  Most Net-Tamer installs run on a DOS platform and call a DOS based Editor
    that can't run the scripts referred to as `E-mail Virus'!

    Net-Tamer doesn't automatically run attached files either. You must chose
    to decode the attached files then Unzip and files that have been
    processed with a `Zip' program. During the Unzip process you should
    consider running a anti-virus program on any executable file.

    There's is quite a bit of `lore' about the E-mail virus. Yes, it can
    happen but probably not on a machine running under DOS and using a DOS
    based Editor program.

Q.  What about Y2K?
    ---------------

A.  Y2K means the Year 2000 and usually refers to the millennium Bug or
    problem when talked about in computer circles. There are lots of sites
    that explain the problem so I won't attempt to explain it here.

    Net-Tamer should be Y2K ready as is though the author, Dave Colston, has
    not mentioned any changes for Y2K readiness. I'd make sure my machine is 
    Y2k compliant and check to see if my OS is Y2K.

    People I trust tell me that Caldera DOS, OS/2 Warp 4.0, and Win 98 are or
    will be Y2K compliant. There are many tests available for Y2K compliance.
    Check with the manufacturer of your hardware for more info or run one of
    the test programs available on the Internet.

    A further test may be made by setting your clock to 12/31/99 @ 23:55 and
    wait five minutes then try to go online or read a message with Net-Tamer.
    If your hardware is compliant, the program should run! Any saved files 
    will have the (bogus) date in the proper format.

Q.  Can I run Net-Tamer under Linux?
    --------------------------------

A.  If you can, let me know. I want to run Linux myself and plan on trying 
    this when I get a install working that will run the Dos Emulator for 
    Linux.

    I'd try it first with the XT version and then try the 386 or palmtop
    version. The 386 version is more complicated and demanding than the XT
    version.

II.  GETTING STARTED
--------------------

Q.  What do I have to do first?
    ---------------------------

A.  Before you run Net-Tamer for the first time you should have signed
    up for a PPP account with a local internet provider, or have access
    to a PPP/TCP-IP connection on your comm port. That's COMM. PORT!
    Net-Tamer will not work with a ETHERNET connection.

    You should get the following information from your internet provider.
    Don't worry, if you don't know what all of this means. If the person
    you speak to on the telephone doesn't know the information, then ask
    to speak to technical support. There is a Template in this FAQ to
    write all this info into.

    1) The address of the services DNS server and an alternate, if one
       is available. These will be numbers, such as:  206.102.200.1 and
       are sometimes called dotted quads. ( Template pt. 3 Item H)

    2) The URL's for POP3, SMTP, and NNTP. These are most generally names
       like: mail.peganet.com; spool.peganet.com; or news.peganet.com
       Make sure you know which is which! (Tmplt pt.3 #E, #F, #G)

    3) Your Email address, such as: [email-masked] (Tmplt pt.3 #I)

    4) Your login username, such as: sg (or the first part of your E-Mail
       address. (Template pt.3 Item A)

    5) Your login password.  This is most times case sensitive, so be
       careful how you copy it down. (Template pt.3 Item B)

    6) Your email login. (probably this first part of your E-Mail
       Address). (Template pt.3 Item C)

    7) Your email password, if this is different from the login password.
       (They are usually the same.) (Template pt.3 Item D)

    8) The telephone number of the service, if you are not on a direct
       comm port connection.  If you want call waiting to be interrupted
       while you're on line put a *70, before the telephone number.  You
       will be asked for this during setup. (Template pt.3 Item J)

In addition, you also need to know the following:

    1) The comm port of your modem. Don't worry about the IRQ, unless
       you know that you are not on a "standard port". If you can not
       find this information, then start by choosing COMM 1 and change
       to COMM 2 if this does not work. If all else fails, check the
       settings in some other terminal program.
       (Template pt.2 Item A/IRQ = Item B)

    2) You need to know the initialization string for your modem.
       (Template pt.2 Item F)

Q.  Just what exactly is a Init. String?
    ------------------------------------

A.  A modem usually accepts setup commands from the terminal program
    in a list called a Initialization string. These AT commands have
    evolved into a defacto standard. The AT has nothing to do with the
    class or kind of computer you have. (Template pt.2 Item F)

    +-----------------------------+
    + Some Suggested Init Strings +
    +-----------------------------+

    Use Factory Settings-------------------AT&F
    Use Profile Stored in Modem------------ATZ
    Generic/UNKNOWN Modem------------------AT&F^MAT&C1&D2&S1&K3
    Generic Modem (9600 baud+)-------------AT&F^MATX3&C1&D2&S1&K3
    Hayes or Hayes compatible--------------AT&F^MAT&C1&D2&S1^M.
    U.S.R. Courier or Sportster------------ATZ^M.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.  What comm port speed should I set my modem to?
    ----------------------------------------------

A.  Once you have Net-Tamer dialling and connecting then run as fast as
    possible! If your machine is capable of sending data to the modem
    at 57,600 BPS then do so. Most modems can handle 38,400 at least
    and some will run at 115,200 or even faster. For now choose either
    19,200, if you have a palm top or XT, or 57600 if you have a 286
    or higher. Some 9600 BPS and 2400 BPS modems can't handle more than
    38,400. (Template pt.2 Item E)

Q.  Okay, I did all of that. What next?
    -----------------------------------

A.  You need to decide on a login script. There are four furnished with
    the *.ZIP file and others are listed in the manual doc file for
    various services, CIS, DELPHI, DEMON, etc. About half of all services
    will work with the default service1.log file including AT&T and MCI.
    Try them each in turn. If none of them work, then you can use dumb
    terminal mode.

    Hit alt + =, and type:

                  ATDT999-99999

    (substitute your services phone number for the 999-9999, of course).
    Then login just like you were using Procomm, Telix, or some other
    terminal program. Hit alt + P, when the service lets you know that
    it is time for PPP mode. (Template pt.3 Item J)

Q.  Does Net-Tamer support chap login (a method to automatically send the
    username and password)?
    -----------------------

A.  Yes, it does! That's what service1.log does. Might not work with all ISPs
    but it does work. Sometimes service1.log will need a `WAIT' added or a
    host prompt sensed before continuing but try service1.log first.

Q.  What is a Script File?
    ----------------------

A.  Script files are specialized batch files that Nettamer executes when
    first attempting a login. These automate the process of identifying 
    yourself to the service and starting PPP negotiations.

-------------------------------------------
Here are all the script commands I know of!
-------------------------------------------

USERNAME$       system macro - sends your login username

                Usage: Blast USERNAME$

PUSERNAME$      system macro - sends login username Preceded by `P'.

                Usage: Blast PUSERNAME$

USERNAME$xxxx   system macro - sends your login username with the
                text specified by `xxxx' appended.

                Usage: Blast USERNAME$xxxx

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In other words the program will Replace USERNAME$ or PUSERNAME$ with
your username, add the `P' if specified, add any `XXX' stuff and a <13>.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Password$       system macro - sends your login password

                Usage: Blast PASSWORD$

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Net-Tamer will Replace PASSWORD$ with your PASSWORD and a <13>. Do not
add <13> to Username$ or Password$. The program will do that for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

PPP             internal command - tells Net-Tamer to go into PPP mode
                and end running script. YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS COMMAND
                AT THE END OF THE SCRIPT!

STATIC ###.###.###.### -
                internal command - tells Net-Tamer to assume the number
                specified in ###.###.###.### as your static IP address.
                Most often used with a direct serial port connection.

DELAY           script command - pauses script execution for # tenths
                seconds (decimals are not accepted). Incoming characters
                are still checked.

                Usage: DELAY 15 (wait 1.5 seconds)

<##>            script constant - The numbers are the number of a Ascii
                character. To include an Ascii control character in a
                command, just enter it like this <27>. ( 27 = ESC)

                Usage: <13>

                would send a ASCII 13 or enter.

BLAST           script command - Tells the program to send a text string
                or system macro.

                Usage: Blast READ WAITING NS<13>

TEXT            string constant - The maximum length is 40 characters.

WAIT            script command - checks incoming characters from ISP
                until the information in TEXT is received.

                Usage: WAIT TEXT

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Net-Tamer DOES NOT ALLOW SPACES ON THE RIGHT OR LEFT HAND SIDE OF A
WAIT COMMAND. USE <32> to indicate a space. Spaces in the middle of a
statement are recognized. i.e. <32>NOW IS THE TIME<32> would check for
the text and a space on either side.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

OR              Boolean operator for Wait command - the program will
                resume execution when it receives the characters matching
                any command specified by TEXT.

                Usage: WAIT BILL-OR-#120

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The number preceded by the # character indicates the maximum length of
time to wait. The number is in 1/10ths of a second.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

IF TEXT         script command - Tells Net-Tamer to compare the current
                incoming data from  service with TEXT. If the TEXT
                condition is true, then Net-Tamer proceeds.

NOT             boolean operator for wait command - Tells Net-Tamer to
                compare the current incoming data from service with
                TEXT. If the TEXT condition is NOT true, then Net-Tamer
                proceeds.

END IF          script command - when a `If' comparison ends the next
                statements are executed.

/NOERROR        script command line switch - use this on a script line
                to prevent script ending if the text is not found in
                the specified time. Net-Tamer abandons the script in 7
                seconds if you don't specify a time value.

                Usage: WAIT MAIL><32>:-or-TO:<32><32> /NOERROR

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes: You may also use these commands, even if other information is
needed in the login. For example, CRIS.COM uses USERNAME$PPP to tell
the service that you want a PPP connect. Netcom.com uses #USERNAME$ for
the same reason. Again, no <13> is required.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:  How do I setup the program?
    ---------------------------

A:  For the first time only, you MUST run reader.exe. Reader has all
    the file viewing stuff and does the initial setup. After that, you
    will want to start Net-Tamer first.

---------------------------------------------------------
Here is a template you can use to record your setup info!
---------------------------------------------------------

--- #1 -------------- Net-Tamer Setup Template -----------------------
| How many users accounts do you need (use)? _____ (See Note #1)     |
| What account is this? #___ User/Purpose? _________________________ |
| Mail Server setup? _____________________________ (see Note #2)     |
| Command Line Switches? _________________________ (See Docs/FAQ)    |
| Software Type ___ Vers. _____ Setup Locked to Password __ (Y or N) |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- #2 ---- Communications, Modem, And Terminal Settings -------------
|                                                                    |
| What Serial Communications port is your modem on?                  |
|        A. Comm Port :__ ( a number usually 1-4)                    |
|                                                                    |
| What is the Comm ports Interrupt Request number? ( usually 3 or 4) |
|        B. Port IRQ  :__ ( usually defaults to proper number)       |
|                                                                    |
| A dialing string is the command to the modem to start dialing!     |
|        C. Dialing String Start :_____ (usually ATDT)               |
|                                                                    |
| Use yes here if you have a talker (speech Synthesizer)!            |
|        D. Print To Bios Screen :__ (N or Y)                        |
|                                                                    |
| How Fast is your modem? If you have compression you'll need a      |
| faster rate like 38,400, 57,600 or 115,200!                        |
|        E. Baud Rate :_________                                     |
|                                                                    |
| This is the command string sent to the modem to start it up.       |
|        F. Modem Init String _________________________ try ATZ 1st! |
|                                                                    |
| You might need to do this if you have a special init string and    |
| your modem forgets it between calls.                               |
|        G. Re-Init For All Dials  :__ (usually N else Y)            |
|                                                                    |
| Net-Tamer likes to synchronize your PC's clock to the Internet!|   |
|        I. Set PC clock to Net Time? __ (Y or N)                    |
|                                                                    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- #3 ------------ Net-Tamer User Setup Template --------------------
|                                                                    |
| What is the name you use to login with? ************ (Note #3)     |
|        A. Login Name:__________________                            |
|                                                                    |
| What is the login password? ************************ (Note #4)     |
|        B. Login Pass:__________________ (may be case sensitive)    |
|                                                                    |
| Is this Account Access Locked to Password __ (Y or N)              |
|                                                                    |
| What is this accounts E-Mail login? **************** (Note #5)     |
|        C. Email Login:_________________                            |
|                                                                    |
| What is this accounts E-Mail Password? ************* (Note #6)     |
|        D. Email Pass:__________________                            |
|                                                                    |
| What is this accounts POP3 URL? ******************** (Note #7)     |
|        E. POP3 URL:________________________________                |
|                                                                    |
| What is this accounts SMTP URL? ******************** (Note #8)     |
|        F. SMTP URL:________________________________                |
|                                                                    |
| What is this accounts NNTP URL? ******************** (Note #9)     |
|        G. NNTP URL:________________________________                |
|                                                                    |
| You will have one or two DNS IP addresses. What are they? (#A)     |
|        H. DNS Addr: ___.___.___.___ , ___.___.___.___              |
|                                     ^                              |
| What is your E-Mail Address? ********* ASK your ISP!               |
|        I. Email Addr:[email-masked]                |
|                                                                    |
| J. Phone Numbers/Scripts                                           |
|                                                                    |
| 1 - (___)-___-____ - ________.___ (ie: SERVICE1.LOG)               |
| 2 - (___)-___-____ - ________.___ (ie: SERVICE2.LOG)               |
| 3 - (___)-___-____ - ________.___ (ie: SERVICE3.LOG)               |
| 4 - (___)-___-____ - ________.___ (ie: SERVICE4.LOG)               |
|                                                                    |
| K. Email Signature Info : _______________________ ( write it here) |
|                                                                    |
| What is the path to your favorite editor?                          |
| L. Text Editor: _______________________ May be left to default!    |
|                                                                    |
| Editor command line switches ______________________ (usually none) |
|                                                                    |
| M. Rotate Dial: __ Choose Y if you need to dial a diff. # on busy. |
|                                                                    |
| N. Usenet Sort: ____________________________ ( ie. Date/Time)      |
|                                                                    |
| O. Quote Symbol/Initials? :__ ( > = default and Y or N for Inits)  |
|                                                                    |
| P. File Menus: ______________________ (ie. Triple Column)          |
|                                                                    |
| Q. Msg Dir : _______________________________ (ie.  C:\TAMER\MSGS\) |
|                                                                    |
| R. Down Dir: _______________________________ (ie.  C:\TAMER\BIN\)  |
|                                                                    |
| S. Taglines:__ (Yes if you wish to include taglines, No otherwise) |
|                                                                    |
| T. Set Terminal Colors ______________________ (jot `em down here)  |
|                                                                    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- 386 Specific -----------------------------------------------------
|                                                                    |
| U. Music/Sound ______________________ On or Off                    |
|                                                                    |
| V. Show Complete Message Headers: __ (Y or N ( N = less clutter)   |
|                                                                    |
| W. Font File ________________________ (just write in the name)     |
|                                                                    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- XT Specific ------------------------------------------------------
|                                                                    |
| U. Show Complete Message Headers: __ (Y or N ( N = less clutter)   |
|                                                                    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Fill in form then enter each item in the setup for the user/acct!  |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Notes.                                                             |
|                                                                    |
| 1. If there are five people in your home or organization and each  |
|    person has a E-mail account, you would need 5 accounts set up   |
|    in Net-Tamer! Also if you want to use a second news server or a |
|    second user name you will want to add a extra account for each  |
|    of these.                                                       |
|                                                                    |
| 2. If this account is using another already setup (in Net-Tamer)   |
|    E-mail name then you might not want it to delete msgs. But if   |
|    this account uses the same Msg Directory you should delete all  |
|    E-mail or accept duplicate messages. (See Server Setup in Docs.)|
|                                                                    |
| 3. This is the name you login with to the service and may be       |
|    different from your E-Mail username!                            |
|                                                                    |
| 4. This is the password for the login with the service itself and  |
|    may be different from your E-Mail password!                     |
|                                                                    |
| 5. This is the name you login to the Mail server with and may be   |
|    different from your Login username!                             |
|                                                                    |
| 6. This is the password for the login to the mail server itself    |
|    and may be different from your Login password!                  |
|                                                                    |
| 7. POP3 is the Post Office Protocol Version 3 and URL refers to    |
|    the machine that stores your mail till you call and request it! |
|                                                                    |
| 8. SMTP is the Simple Mail Transport Protocol and URL refers to    |
|    the machine that accepts your outgoing mail for sending!        |
|                                                                    |
| 9. NNTP is the Net News Transport Protocol and URL refers to the   |
|    machine that accepts your outgoing posts for sending!           |
|                                                                    |
| A. DNS refers to the Domain Name Service or Domain LOOKUP and the  |
|    address is a set of four numbers arranged as a dotted quad. You |
|    may have two of these. Separate the first from the second with  |
|    a comma.                                                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

III. SETUP TROUBLESHOOTING
--------------------------

Q.  I can't get my system to connect to the ISP! I think it's my modem
    settings. I don't think I have a good init string. Help!
    --------------------------------------------------------

A.  Check your comm port and IRQ setting first. If you hear the modem
    dial, but the init string or phone number are not echoed to the
    screen, then you are on the wrong IRQ. Check your settings in
    another terminal program to find the correct information. The same
    goes for the modem init string. If it works for another program,
    it will likely work for Net-Tamer.

    Finally, let's back your modem down to its lowest speed. Go into
    comm. settings and set the port speed to 2400 BPS. Now set the Init.
    string to ATZ if you don't already have a good string. Press x to
    exit and save the changes. Try to login to your ISP as a dumb terminal.

Q.  I can't even login at the lowest speed?
    ---------------------------------------

A.  Turn your modem speaker on! If you can run as a dumb terminal and
    dial a number with your modem, then you should hear some sounds
    through the speaker. These sounds are a dial tone then a ring
    and finally the two modems negotiating a connection.

    If you can't seem to dial then make sure you have Net-Tamer set to
    your modems port. If you can dial, hear the sounds, see the modem
    responses on the screen and then the connection drops raise your
    speed to 9600 BPS and try again. Most likely your ISP won't accept
    a 2400 BPS connection!

Q.  I can now connect at 9600 baud but I still need a Init. string and
    I had a hard time setting the last comm. package up to run with my
    modem. What do I do?
    --------------------

A.  Let's call the `Baud Rate' 9600 BPS (Bits Per Second; some purist will
    fuss if we say baud)! If you already have a Init. string for your
    modem and it works well with another terminal program you can try
    using the same string with Net-Tamer. You will find a very lengthy
    list of init. strings toward the end of the Net-Tamer Doc file.

    Another source would be the manual that came with your modem.

Q.  What if, no matter what I tried, nothing happens?
    -------------------------------------------------

A.  If you have a "WINDOWS MODEM", some users have reported they call
    the U.S. Robotics service line and tell them they are a merchant who
    can't get their VISA or MasterCard program to work. They claim U.S.R.
    becomes very helpful then ;-)

Q.  Why does my install of Net-Tamer only receive mail at one baud rate
    while sending only at another?
    ------------------------------

A.  Probably due to running a `RPI' type modem or a slower UART without
    a FIFO buffer built in! You might want to try Modem Doctor to find out
    the type of Modem and Uart you have!

Q.  The program keeps playing "Happy Birthday"?
    -------------------------------------------

A.  If you have a sound card and the `BLASTER =' environment variable set
    the program will play some *.wav files which were in the 386 release!
    Now, if you don't have a sound card, the program will look for the
    music.rnb file, which has some BASIC style songs. If it can't find
    that and you left sound or music on in setup, then it will play
    "Happy Birthday".

    Either turn sound/music off, fix the environment variable for your
    sound card, or move the music.rnb file to the message directory, if
    you don't want to hear that tune ;-).

Q.  My ISP has two sets of phone lines! The first won't roll over to
%   the second so I need to use both numbers! What do I do?
    -------------------------------------------------------

A.  The trick is setting the rotate dial if busy in comm. setup to `yes'
%   and putting both phone numbers in the user setup for that account. (You
%   will find a place for up to four numbers in each user setup!)

%   To make Net-Tamer continue calling until connection, put both numbers
%   in the first two phone number lines and repeat for the second set
%   of two! Remember to put the proper script name in each line!

%   If you only have one phone number, put it in all four spaces! If
%   you have two numbers put them in twice each! If you have three put
%   them each in and double up on the most likely to be free (answered)!

Q.  I have two ISPs! What do I need to do?
    --------------------------------------

A.  If you want to select between two or more ISPs, put each ISPs phone
%   number in a separate user account! Better yet use the cheapest
%   (best) ISP to dial to then Telnet into the other ISPs as needed!

IV. ON/OFF LINE OPERATIONS
--------------------------

Q.  If I do login using the alt + = routine, how do I get email, etc.?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  You need to read the online.key and/or the terminal.key files and
    when on line with any version after 1.07 there is a online options
    key (F2) to see a list of online commands. You should check the
    key files on any new version to see what has been added.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Here are the online Commands with "Online Options" screen commands |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

F1         - help
F2         - display the on-line command screen
F4         - hang up
F10        - quit the program

|=== ONLINE OPTIONS and EQUIVALENTS =============================|
|                                                                |
|    A = HTTP    (World Wide Web) {same as alt+W}                |
|    B = FTP     (file transfer protocol) {same as alt+f}        |
|    C = TELNET  (connect with a host machine) {alt+t}           |
|    D = POP3    (GET Your MAIL) {same as alt+m}                 |
|    E = SMTP    (SEND MAIL) {same as alt+m}                     |
|    F = NNTP    (get usenet news) {same as alt+u}               |
|    G = ICMP    (Ping test) {same as alt+i}                     |
|    H = FINGER  (find status of a user)                         |
|    I = DAYTIME (returns day date and time)                     |
|    T = TIME    (returns GMT/UCT Time)                          |
|    K = QUOTE of the DAY (if implemented)                       |
|    L = ACTIVE USERS (if implemented)                           |
|    M = ECHO    (bounces a text string back to you)             |
|    N = CHARACTER GENERATOR (sends you a screen of all chars)   |
|    O = DISCARD (send a string of chars without answering back) |
|    Z = Quit this menu {same as alt+z}                          |
|                                                                |
|=== THESE ONLY WORK FROM THE ONLINE OPTIONS (F2) SCREEN ========|

alt + c    - clear terminal screen
alt + d    - returns the exact date and time E.S.T. with the
             correction for UST (GMT).
alt + f    - go to FTP mode
alt + m    - check pop3 mail then send any messages (if ready)
alt + q    - log off
alt + r    - browse (read) a text file
alt + s    - shell to DOS
alt + t    - go to telnet mode
alt + u    - get usenet messages (usenet.get file must be ready)
alt + w    - go to WWW mode
alt + x    - quit the program
alt + y    - toggle sound/music on and off (temporary change)
<Esc>      - Stop File Transfer or Socket Open, or leave site.
alt + esc  - EMERGENCY ESCAPE. Shut down all sockets, files, and
             return to terminal screen, but remain online.
             Cancels Log off and/or autorun.

TELNET keys:

F1      - help
F10     - quit the program
pgdn    - start xmodem download. Must be connect to a BBS.
alt + q - quit telnet mode
alt + c - start a capture file
alt + s - shell to DOS

Q.  When I'm online how do I stop something that appears to be running
    away or malfunctioning?
    -----------------------

A.  Use ALT-ESC, remember this, ESC (by itself) is more for navigating,
    ALT-ESC is for shutting down or bailing out. It takes a few seconds
    to kill the running process and shut down but it works!

    You will end up in a online terminal screen where you can restart
    what you were doing, switch to another task or hit F4 to log off.

    In 1.09 betas that I've tested it seems that f-4 can hang up while
    sometimes stuck waiting for the esc or ctrl-esc sequence to work.
    And f-10 will take you off line and kill the Net-Tamer session.

Q.  When I run Net-Tamer from Windows the ALT-ESC key combination cannot be
*   used because that is telling Windows to switch tasks. Is there an
*   alternative method for an Emergency Escape?
    -------------------------------------------

A.  Set up a PIF file to launch Net-Tamer and reserve Alt-Esc for Net-Tamer's
*   use. You can always use Alt-Enter to get a different Window.

Q.  Is there an address list?
    -------------------------

A.  Yes, and the address list can be added to by using the ALT-G (grab a line
    command) in the mail reader and sending it to the address list when
    prompted by the grab routine.

Q.  I would like to know how to delete an e-mail address from my address list
    when I get one wrong or it's no longer a valid address?
    -------------------------------------------------------

A.  Just load the file called address.lst into your editor and delete or edit
    the line. The format is the whole E-mail address, then any comment in
    parentheses with no spaces! Use an underline instead of a space anywhere
    in the address list. And the entry should be under 70 characters or so.
    Then press the enter key to get a new line and delete any resulting blank
    lines.

    Each line should look something like:

        [email-masked](one_of_the_lost_people_on_the_Inet)
        [email-masked](fishing_buddy_and_checkers_champion)
        root@localhost(never_write_to_here)

    Of course your entries should not be indented. You can reorder these 
    entries also at this time if you want by moving the lines around.

Q.  I'd like a Organization header with a ReplyTo header and maybe some
    other headers! Can Net-Tamer handle those?
    ------------------------------------------

A.  Yes, You need to make up a file with those headers pre-made or type
    them in by hand though! Either way they go on the next line after the
    subject. Then leave a blank line and begin the message body!

    Here are the ones I often use and import as a file!

    Organization: The Information Monster Highway (Monster Highway BBS)
    X-Where-Is-We: Lat. 39.02/Long. 78.27
    Reply-To: [email-masked]
    X-Question: Do you always read these headers?
    X-Weather: Insert today's weather here with humorous comment
    X-Reminder: Headers that begin with `X-' are user (or client)
                definable and all headers must be one continuous line if
                longer than eighty characters! See RFC-822 for more info!

Q.  Is it possible to have a blank subject line in a e-mail using Nettamer?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Yes, but why? I know many list servers seem to specify a blank subject
    but most really are saying they don't care what's in the subject line!

    Anyway just put a space in the Subject field and Net-Tamer will leave it
    blank.

Q.  Most of these automated e-mail systems scan your e-mails for your request
    so you must send them exactly as instructed or your message is returned
    with a list of all the unrecognised text.
    -----------------------------------------

A.  Just place the word `End' on a line by itself in the body after you enter
    all your commands.

Q.  I have a bunch of POP3 Accounts. How can I use them with Net-Tamer?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  You can setup a second (or more) user account(s) for your secondary
%   POP3 accounts! I have one setup for Netaddress, two others setup for
%   cybermail and one setup for the BBS! With a bogus account setup for
%   `Spoofing' MMF Spam mailers when I want to `pull their leg'!

Q.  Where did you get all those POP3 accounts?
    ------------------------------------------

A.  I kind of answer that question in the Monster Truck FAQ but it needs
    repeating here! So Here!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
| Included From The Monster Truck FAQ.                     |
| http://www.landfield.com/faqs/autos/sport/monster-trucks |
------------------------------------------------------------

Q.  How can our drivers publish a E-mail address, without clogging their
    personal Internet accounts?
    ---------------------------

A.  Rocketmail, Hotmail, Juno, Netaddress, and Cybermail all offer free
    or cheap E-mail addresses! If you have a Web Page, your ISP can often
    give you more addresses on a server and `MX' the addresses to your
    Domain Name or Machine Name at Domain Name! Cybermail, Netaddress and
    others will even forward the mail to another account if needed!

    NetAddress, symetsys, and Cybermail can be retrieved via POP3 also - much
    better than WEB only In my Humble Opinion!

    Also try:

        http://WWW.EmailAdresses.COM

------------------- End Include ----------------------------

Q.  I am in a Mailing Loop!
    -----------------------

Q.  I need a mailing list.
    ----------------------

A.  There is now a "Mass Mail Feature" for registered users only! To
    use this feature you enter a file name as the "To: " name then
    enter the subject. Type the email message in the normal manner.

    When Net-Tamer finds a file name instead of a  "To: " address, it
    will at the time of upload, send multiple copies of the email that
    follows to everyone listed in that file. You won't see this
    expansion until you start the upload!

    That's "MULTIPLE" Copies!!! There will be ONLY one name per message
    and there is no limit to the number of addresses. You "CAN'T" use
    the address.lst file for this. Instead, the file must be a <CR><LF>
    delimited list of addresses only.

    You may make this "address" file with any text editor or even use
    the alt + G function in the message viewer.

-------------------------
Advanced Mass Mail Tricks
-------------------------

    There are a couple of "special tricks", of course. If for some reason you 
    to want multiple names in the To: field, then put a comma after the email 
    address. In other words, the names per copy stops, when the program no 
    longer finds a comma at the end of the address.

    If you do wish to let someone know that this is a CC, then put a /CC
    after the first name.

    Again, I repeat AGAIN, these are for registered users though a little of
    this is pertinent to the evaluation unregistered version.

Q.  I would like to know a bit more on how the message viewer and editor
    classifies, handles and names files to "send" or leave "pending" etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  The outgoing Mail files are named "mail.$01, mail.$02, mail.$03"
    and so on. In a pending file the "!" or bang character is substituted
    for the "$" dollar sign in the extension. In the same fashion, a
    outgoing usenet news post is called "usenet.$01" and a pending
    post would be "usenet.!01", etc.

    The numbers are actually hexadecimal and Net-Tamer could create up
    to 255 out going mails and/or posts. In practice, any file called
    "mail.$xx" or "usenet.$xx" (where xx can equal any legal dos file
    name character) will be sent. This would include the temporary
    files from programs such as NTLserve or Kill-file. Use caution
    when stopping these add-on programs with "cntrl/c". The file
    extension numbers don't have to be in any order.

    When you reply to a message Net-Tamer finds the last outgoing mail
    file name. Adds 1 to the extension number to build a reply file
    with mail.$xx as the name. With quoting selected Net-Tamer takes
    the present message and uses the from address and any CC: addresses
    plus the subject to form the new header. The reader module also
    skips a line then builds and adds the line:

        "On "date" "so and so" said to "[email-masked]"

    Next, the program, adds the Quote Character (normally ">" ) preceded
    by what it believes to be the originator's initials) to each line
    of the original message with word wrapping on to form the quoted
    text. Now it passes the file to the editor as the argument to the
    editor command for your selected editor. The 386 version changes
    to the editors directory while the XT version stays in the message
    directory.

    After you finish any editing, your editor either automatically saves
    or prompts you to save the file back (or you remember to save <G>).
    At this time you could make a copy for a secondary purpose and with
    most editors a copy of the pre-edited version with extension ".bak"
    is saved.

    Net-Tamer regains control and suggests a Tag line, adds the Net-Tamer
    Ad Sig. and your signature if selected. Then reader asks how to
    handle file. If you chose to Kill <K> the file is deleted! Either
    Send <S> or Pending <P> then passes the file to any spell checker.
    Following the spell checking the file is left in the message
    directory to be sent on next mail run.

    A new message or post follows the same general path except there
    is nothing to quote.

Here are the Reader (offline) VIEW keys:

    A = Add to address list.
    D = Delete message when you're through viewing.
    E = Edit/Review address file.
    F = Search for text.
    G = Get older msg.
    J = Jump to Msg. #
    K = Kill Reply or Msg.(next pass)
    N = Next Subject.
    Q = Quit Viewing.
    R = Reply/Review Reply current msg.
    U = Unreplied Email.
    S = Save Msg. to printer or disk.
    Y = Yours (messages written to you).
    V or L = View/list of Msgs. (with extra commands).
    W = Write a new message.

    SPACE or ENTER = Next Message.
    PgUp = Scroll Up.
    PgDn = Scroll Down.
    HOME = First message in the file.
    END = Last message in the file.
    Cursor Up = Scroll Up one line.
    Cursor Down = Scroll Down one line.

    Alt + A = Get File From Work Space
    Alt + F = Forward EMAIL or Msg.
    Alt + G = Grab or steal a message line from this message, to tag file or
              address.lst
    Alt + Q = Delete all msgs. with this subject.
    Alt + R = Read/Edit NON MESSAGE FILE.
    Alt + S = Shell out to DOS. Type exit to return to program.
    Alt + U = Run UUDECODE/BASE64 DECODE for all file with the .UUE/.64
              extension
    Ctrl + R = Short Cut Reply. Quick direct reply to the currently viewed
               message, with no options for change. It also allows you to
               write a second reply to the same message. If you hit CTRL + R,
               you do not view and existing reply, instead you start a new
               one.

Q.  What are the files that end with "dlu", "pru", and "ieu" for?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

A.  The *.DLU files contain the mail or news messages that you have already
    downloaded.

    The *.IEU files are an index so that the program can find the right
    message in the *.DLU files.
    
    The *.PRU file is the archived (saved after reading) message file. This
    file is built when you elect to Save a message to the Archive instead of
    erasing it or leaving it in the *.dlu files.

Q.  I'm having trouble with the delete/ don't delete selection when reader
    exits. It doesn't hold the setting or I'm changing it accidentally.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  All the reader versions I've tried since 1.07 seem to hold the
    delete/don't delete command as set. This was a problem in 1.07 but
    if you get that message, "You have 523 msgs. in your....." just tell
    it to delete none by backspacing out the number. Net-Tamer will still
    try to delete the marked messages.

Q.  When I mark some of my mail for deletion, I wind up losing all of it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Now, let's say you have a dozen messages in mail.dlu. You read them
+   and mark 6 for deletion! As you then exit reader you get a prompt
+   asking, "delete how many?" You've already marked 6 for deletion so if
+   you answer with six then 6 marked plus 6 more deleted equals 12 and
+   you will wind up erasing all 12 messages!

Q.  Some of the messages I get are `keepers'. Can I save them separately?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Let's don't forget the archive ability in Reader itself. Just
    press `S' while reading a message and `A' to save to (append to)
    the Archive file which will be called the `mail.pru' during a
    mail.dlu read session.

    The reader in 1.10 supports the mark and move mechanism! You may go
    through all your mail and mark the messages to keep! then hit `X' to
    execute the move! Net-Tamer will move all marked files to a new file!

    If you name the file with mail in the file name, you may reply to the
    messages via the normal reply mechanism!

Q.  I erased a bunch of messages, undelete can't get them back?
    -----------------------------------------------------------

A.  My experiences with undelete (Norton Unerase) fall a little short!
    If you erase the whole file (all the messages) leaving a `zero
    byte' file you can recover. But, if you erase half the file you
    will probably not be able to recover them.

Q.  I accidentally marked a message to be erased but I need to keep it! What
    should I do now?
    ----------------

A.  If you haven't exited Reader Yet, Mark the message for (N)ormal or (K)eep!

Q.  How do I get a message to my ISP? I don't know anybody there!
    -------------------------------------------------------------

A.  There are some standard `names' you may use when you need to get
    E-mail to most system admins at most any location.

Here they are:

        Root (especially `Unix' Servers)
        System (Unix again)
        Postmaster (any system with mail and any Registered Domain)
        Newsmaster (Sometimes if they run a news server)
        Usenet (For reporting news server problems)
        Webmaster (Web hosting services)
        Sysop (any service which started as a bbs or is a bbs)
        Info (for a content based service or ISP)
        Sales (for any `for profit operation' (sales people get excited
        if they think a commission is heading out the door))

The final address would be something like:

        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        root@local_host

    Postmaster is often the best. Use SYSOP and the machine name in the case
    of a bbs. Postmaster and the machine name in the case of a special mail, 
    BBS or (sometimes) news server. Many services `alias' all these names 
    into the System or Root account.

    To get the attention of a specific person use their E-mail address if
    known and maybe CC one of the other accounts. If the specific person is 
    gone for a while, someone at the other `Admin' addresses will often 
    handle your request to `please the boss'! Note any `bounce' messages for 
    the next time.

Q.  I'm still puzzling over sending files as attachments. Especially the
*   sending of a plain text file. How do I attach a text file?
    ----------------------------------------------------------

A.  If you want to send a actual file as opposed to sending a message with
*   the file embedded, you'll need to let Net-Tamer attach it as a UUencode
*   or Base 64 file!

Q.  Is the UUencoding needed for an attached text file? What is UUencoding
    and base 64 is and what is the difference?
    ------------------------------------------

A.  Base 64 and UUencode are just two different methods of converting a file
    (either text or a program file) for attachment and safe transport! Base64
    is popular but UUencode is well supported by a lot of mail/news readers
    as it's older!

    Net-Tamer won't attach a file until it has encoded it.

Q.  So how do I attach the file?
    ----------------------------

A.  Make sure you have the file finished and formatted the way you want! You
    may either reply to a message or start a new message as required.

    Either agree to, change or enter the `To: addressee' and the next screen
    will ask Regular Message or Binary! Choose Binary (a UUencode or Base64
    encoded file is a binary for all practical purposes) and in the next
    screen choose either encoding method you want! Now select the path then
    the file you want to send and Net-Tamer will encode it and attach it to
    the message!

Q.  Can I send a message with the attached file?
    --------------------------------------------

A.  If your replying to a message you may choose to quote the original
    message if needed! You won't be able to edit or add text if you attach
    a file but you might be able to revisit the message (review out-going)
    and edit the text if the attached file is small! Caution: this is tricky
    and your editor can really mess up the attached file by inserting
    extraneous characters!

    Safest is to use one message for the attachment and a second for the
    explanation of what the attachment is if you can't explain it in the
    subject and attachment file name.

Q.  Now, I can't make NetTamer decode the Base 64 file attachments.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Save the message to the current message directory! Do strip the headers,
*   to decode a message you must strip the headers! Then Net-Tamer will save
*   the file to disk with a *.64 file name.

*   When you get back to the message read screen Press Alt-U (the `ALT' key
*   and the `U' key). Net-Tamer will run UUdecode over every message
*   attachment file it finds in the current message directory and leave
*   behind the file as originally Encoded.

*   When the UUdecode finishes the file will be what it was before being
*   encoded! Now you can use Pkunzip on it, run it if its a *.exe or whatever
*   is needed to view the file or decompress it!

*   The same process handles UUencode and base 64 files! You might also want
*   to try Tom Burleigh's Ntbinary program.

        http://www.net-connect.net/~tomburl

Q.  What is Usenet?
    ---------------

A.  Usenet is a giant list of conference groups or forums, with
    participants from all over the world. If you have a special
    interest there is probably a usenet group for it! Some of the
    groups are very "R to NA-17" in terms of rating, so select
    carefully, if some things offend you. Net-Tamer does not know
    what you want, except what you tell it to get.

Q.  My system expects a Usenet Password. What do I do now?
    ------------------------------------------------------

A.  Net-Tamer looks for this and will supply your email address and
    password, if it is requested. If you need to give information OTHER
    than that, Net-Tamer will also look for a file called USENET.NFO.
    Use a text editor, type in on a single line your user name for this
    server a Bar character (|) and your password. Place this file in
    the message directory! Very few users will need this file.

Q.  How do I add usenet groups if I don't know any groups to select?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

A.  While in the reader main screen, press the F3 key, like you were
    going to view messages, but select option B. The screen will display
    a menu asking you to add or delete a group. You probably don't have
    any yet, so pick "Update Group List" to get a list of groups! The
    next time you go online select get usenet and Net-Tamer will get a
    listing of available groups!

Q.  Just where does the list of Newsgroups come from?
    -------------------------------------------------

A.  Net-Tamer requests the names and counts of all newsgroups when the
    user wants a updated list! This list is built by the news-server and
    sent as part of a normal usenet request! When you ask for a updated
    groups list the request for `List' is placed in the `Usenet.get'
    file along with any other requests for files (messages), subject
    lists or headers!

    Net-Tamer parses the (usegrps.lst) list by removing extra data like
    the message range numbers and message counts! The resulting file is a
    straight ascii file (usually very large) called usenet.for!

    The list will be in semi-alphabetical order since, when groups are
    added, they are often appended to the lists end! These newest groups
    will not be in order until a sort is done by either a News Admin or a
    maintenance process! Net-Tamer doesn't sort the list since its often
    extremely long and sorted (or not) by the host site.

    Available usenet news groups can change quite often as control
    messages are received and acted on by the net news software and the
    site admin!  You might want to grab the control group from your
    server just to watch for these new group commands! Be aware though
    that control wont always reflect the groups on the server due to
    admin intervention and possible creation of new groups locally
    (especially for local use)!

Q.  I have a good `Group List' now what?
    ------------------------------------

A.  When you are back in reader, press F3 and select option B. Choose
    ADD A GROUP. Net-Tamer will work for a while to format the new groups
    list then present them to you for selection!

    Try this! Hit ALT-F and type in the name of one of your hobbies or
    interests. Net-Tamer will search through the file and (if it finds
    the word) will stop and highlight that group name. Press enter and
    the group will be selected for inclusion.

    Now Net-Tamer takes the group name and tries to make a file name
    for it. If you already have a *.dlu file with the suggested name
    you will need to modify it or Net-Tamer will put any downloaded
    messages from either group in that file! Of course you might 
    want to have related groups feed one file!

    Next you will be asked `get all new messages' and if you chose `Y'
    Net-Tamer will get every message posted to the group from now on!

    You will be asked how do you want to sign your messages. This is just
    a two line `blurb' that you want appended to all messages in this
    group! Type that in and your finished.

Q.  What if I choose no (don't get all new messages)?
    -------------------------------------------------

    Then, to find out what messages are available, you must go into the
    `F3' option B menu, again highlight a group name and press enter. You
    will now see a line with a number and a `s'. Press enter and on the
    next usenet run Net-Tamer will get a list of all subjects.

    After that run you can hit F3 and select option B again, press enter
    on the group name to view a list of all current messages. Just
    cursor down through and hit enter on any message you want, to have
    the program build a usenet.get file for that group containing message
    numbers of the selected messages!

    When you finish viewing the list of messages and quit, Net-Tamer
    will prompt you to delete the old list and get a new current
    messages list! You need to delete the old list to get a new list!

    In the main list, groups that have `get all messages' selected or
    a subject list ordered will be marked as "ordered"!

Q.  Can I manipulate the usenet.get file to choose a message?
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Q.  How can I follow a previous thread?
    -----------------------------------

A.  If you didn't select to get all messages for the group in question
    you may request a subject list as above to generate a usenet.get
    entry for the group as outlined above.

    The Usenet.get file is made up of two line entries. On the first line
    the whole name of the group followed by a space then a # character
    and the major name (without the dlu extension) of the file to store
    the message into.

    On the next line is the first message number to get in that group
    and any other messages (by number) separated by commas. Then finally
    the previous high message number, the character `S' and a dash if
    subjects are ordered.

    You may change the number for the subject list to `0' to get every
    message subject in that group that's still on the server. If the
    message thread references a previous message number, you might try
    putting that number in the get file also. The numbers are specific
    to your NNTP server.

    A somewhat typical Usenet.get file:

        news.answers #!ANSWERS
        96117,96119,96299S-
        alt.bbs.internet #INTERNET
        66031,66174,66175S-

    Let's modify this to get every subject for these two groups (even
    the ones we might have received before) and get a older message
    (65948) in the second group that might still be available on the
    server!

        news.answers #!ANSWERS
        96117,96119,0S-
        alt.bbs.internet #INTERNET
        65948,66031,66174,0S-

Q.  What if I've been getting all messages and now need another copy of
    a older message?
    ----------------

A.  Remove the group name temporarily from the F3 groups list (don't
    delete the files) and make a usenet.get file to request the message
    by number. Or remove the name and re-add the name but don't select
    to get all messages. Press enter on the group name and request the
    subject list!

    If this doesn't work use the browser to search Yahoo or Dejanews!

Tip: Once you have settled on the groups you want to always `consider'
     why not setup a usenet.for file with just the names of the groups
     you are interested in. Save it off to a different name when you
     request a new `groups list'. Add any new groups you are
     interested in and substitute again for the usenet.for.

Q.  I use the get subjects feature! Often I see 221 subjects follow
    but there is nothing there!
    ---------------------------

A.  That line is a server response, it really means nothing in the
    subject list and I imagine one of these days Uncle Dave will fix
    Net-Tamer to delete it or not put it in the *.UDR file in the first
    place!

Q.  I need that list of public news servers??
    -----------------------------------------

A.  That list keeps changing as news admins decide they need to `secure'
    their site, close down completely or otherwise become unavailable.
    Look at the following URL for the latest info:

    http://www.yahoo.com/News_and_Media/Usenet/Public_Access_Usenet_Sites

Q.  Can I edit the usenet.rec file??
    --------------------------------

A.  Yes, but you need a hex editor or something that won't add anything
    like formatting commands or linefeeds/carriage returns. I recommend
    deleting and re-entering the info via Net-Tamer instead! If you do
    any editing of this file, just overwrite the info never add more
    characters or delete any characters and do make a backup copy first!

    There is a program called editgrp from Freezack which allows you to
    edit the usenet.rec at will and knows how to change info in each file
    field without trashing the file!

        http://members.tripod.com/~freezack

Q.  I seem to be getting a lot of 423 error messages from our news server,
*   what does this mean, what is causing it?
    ----------------------------------------

A.  The 423 is a news server error message caused when a requested article
*   doesn't exist! Sounds like Net-Tamer's counters and the news server
*   you are calling are out of sync!

*   Unselect the group (like you don't want the group anymore) then reselect
*   it! The counter won't know the last message then so it will start with 0
*   and wind up with the proper number! Net-Tamer will handle the low message
*   number and seek the new low in other words then set the last message
*   properly (well it should)!

*   You may also `zero' the Net-Tamer counters with Editgrp if you have it!

Q.  Why are there only seven messages available within a span of say 468-478
*   Messages?
    ---------

A.  This is somewhat normal for a well maintained news spool. There should
*   be a missing message once in a while due to cancels messages being
*   honored and dupe checking! A site that takes multiple feeds will have
*   more dupes and if they run a good dupe checker, will have more missing
*   messages! A renumber will happen there also occasionally and you'll
*   need to repeat this step for the affected groups after a renumber!

Q.  How do I download from a WEB Page?
    ----------------------------------

A.  You can download from a WEB page server (like Dave's page) by
    cursoring down to the download url of the file you want to
    receive and hitting enter.

    Here are the online WWW keys:

    F1       - help
    F10      - quit the program
    alt + s  - shell to DOS
    ctrl + f - Add Page To BOOKMARK.FAV (favorite sites)
    ctrl + s - SAVE an HTML file you are viewing

Q.  How can I view a HTML page while Off-line?
    ------------------------------------------

A.  With most versions of Net-Tamer, I think you can browse the HTML
    pages by going to the `Terminal' screen (where you select to go
    back on line or read mail). With no other selections on screen,
    you press alt + r.

    Net-Tamer will prompt you through to select a file. It is designed
    to read text files but if you point to an`*.htm' file Net-Tamer
    will offer to display it as if you were online (as a WEB Page).
    Else you may select to view it as a file to see the formatting
    commands.

Q.  Is there a way to automate a web page download?
    -----------------------------------------------

A.  If you can get the page via FTP or E-mail, then Net-Tamer can show
    it to you. See elsewhere in this FAQ for info on viewing Web Pages
    offline.

    See Bob Rankin's Accessing the Internet Via E-mail in section X. of
    this FAQ! Loaded with great tricks and can save you a lot of time,
    connection time and just plain work while letting you access services
    that might be otherwise unavailable to you.

Q.  Can I use Net-Tamer with a Network?
    -----------------------------------

A.  Net-Tamer doesn't have any built in Local Network Support but you can
    use a Network to share Net-Tamer's program and/or data files!

    If you setup Net-Tamer to use the `Networked' files then you must
    make sure the `Server' is running before starting up (especially
    for a `on-line run)!

    If you run Net-Tamer on two (or more) Networked machines you might
    need to create a batch file to help sync up the *.dlu files!

Q.  Can I use the Dos Networking in Dos 6.0?
    ----------------------------------------

A.  Yes, remember the `Server' Machine is unavailable as a console when
    the Network is running and the files on the `Server' are unavailable
    to the `Client' machine when the `Server' is down!

Q.  How about Windows Networking?
    -----------------------------

A.  I don't have a lot of Windows Network experience but, I would think
    the same caveats as above would be in effect! Except all the machines
    will be available `at console'!

Q.  What's going on with FTP?
    -------------------------

A.  Ftp is working fine. Choose FTP while on line and you should get a
    list of sites to FTP from.  Highlight a site and Net-Tamer will
    attempt to login to that site and prompt you through the process.
    Once logged in to a FTP server you must move up or down through a
    directory Tree to find files.

    When you have selected a file to FTP, you must select the transfer
    type, either Image (binary) or ascii! Ascii is of course a text type
    file while a Image is a gif, zip, jpeg or a exe (executable)! Don't let
    this throw you, a Image is a memory Image not necessarily a picture!

    The online help should be enough to guide you now. Experiment a little
    and watch the screen info, read the Docs and help files.

    FTP keys:

    F1      - help
    F10     - quit the program
    alt + q - quit FTP mode
    alt + s - shell to DOS
    <Esc>   - Stop
    
    Cursor to and enter on the option you want. If it is a file, it will be
    downloaded, if it is a directory, you will be taken to it.

Q.  When I try to log on to a FTP site Net-Tamer wants to logon as
    User `Anonymous' and send my E-mail Address as the password!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

A.  That's right! If you need a different login name, delete the suggested
    `Anonymous' and correct with the proper name and then Password instead
    of the default suggestion (your E-mail name)!

Q.  Can I setup multiple ftp.get commands for automatic download?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Yes, we've experimented with editing the ftp.get file. Make sure you
    have a good site and a valid username and password for the site (usually
    Anonymous for a public site: See Above)! Type the name and a complete
    path for each file (correctly 8-) ) on a line by itself.

Q.  What is the layout of the ftp.get file?
    ---------------------------------------

A.  The layout of the ftp.get is just a single line, or multiple lines each
    containing the full site name followed by the path and filename. ie:

        ftp.bigoleserver.com/users/leftovers/files/microwve.txt

    The file will be retrieved (if your server name, path and file name are
    correct) on your next online run!

Q.  Where did the Nettamer FTP directories list come from? Is there a
    way of getting a more current copy?
    -----------------------------------

A.  As far as I know, that list comes from Uncle Dave and he states in
    the docs, "not all the sites work." You can get a listing of FTP
    sites from the usenet group news.answers. The format of this usenet
+   ftp site list is not compatible with Net-Tamers ftp site list. See
+   below for info on adding these sites to Net-Tamer's FTP list.

Q.  Is there a way of saving new sites to that file from within Net-Tamer?
    Is that a standard text file to which lines can be appended?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

A.  If you want to modify or add to Net-Tamer's FTP site list, load it
    into your editor. Use this format, actual internet name of server
    followed by a space then a dash another space and a description of
    some sort.

        Actual.name.of.server - Bill's favorite fishing tips spot.

    The space after the dash `-' is mandatory, and the best way to set
    it is to put a short description there. (My editor ignores the space
    unless followed by some text).

    You may also include a path to get into a favorite directory! Case,
    spelling, and punctuation are very important with FTP servers. You
    may need to start with the server name and add the path after you
    successfully log on to the server the first time.

Q.  In ftp what hot key is used to upload to a ftp site?
    ----------------------------------------------------

A.  There is no Hot Key to start a upload! Instead use FTP to Logon to
    some site where you have privileges. A Unix or Linux site is best
    but most of the OS/2 sites will work too. Most of the sites in the
    FTP list that comes with Net-Tamer will be Unix systems. You'll
    need to navigate to the directory you want to upload your file to.

    IE; A WEB Page would go to the Public_Html directory on most Web
    servers. After the file and directory lists you'll see the lines:

        upload a file
        Leave this site
        and the dot commands (CWDUP)

    If you select upload a file, Net-Tamer will switch to a window
    offering to select the current Message directory on your machine.
    Answer `no' to get a list of the directories in root of your machine
    and navigate to the source directory (where your file to upload is).

    Select "path choice complete" and you will then get a list of the
    files in that directory. Select the file and tell Net-Tamer whether
    it's a Image (for COM, EXE, HTM, Bat, ZIP, or BTM) file or ASCII
    (Text).
    
    Net-Tamer will then ask you what you want to call the file on the
    FTP server machine. This is so you can use a name that is more
    fitting to a Linux, UNIX or HPFS file name.

    Net-Tamer will now show you the command "stor filename.xxx" press
    enter to send the command to the FTP site. You may watch the Status
    bar then for the upload statistics.

Q.  How do you erase a file already on the FTP server?
    --------------------------------------------------

A.  To erase a file at the FTP site, navigate to the proper directory
    where your file resides. Choose the file you want to delete! Net-Tamer
    will show you the command it wants to send "retr filename.xxx". Type
    "dele" over the word "retr" and press enter. The FTP server will
    delete your file then present you with the new directory list.

Q.  Can I use the above trick to delete or make a directory?
    --------------------------------------------------------

A.  To erase a directory (or make a new one) at the FTP site, choose a
    file like above in the directory you want to make the new directory
    in or delete from. The commands this time are "mkd dirname" to make
    a new directory or "rmd dirname" to remove one.

    As an aside to this, you need to exercise caution with these commands.
    In you own directories like at a WEB site or your shell account (if
    you have one) you could mess up your WEB Page of lose the ".rc" files
    for your news, mail etc.

    On a public site you probably won't be able to do as much but the
    `admin' there may have made a mistake setting permissions etc. You
    could delete valuable files belonging to others or yourself. Maybe
    even delete config files that would shut down the system.

V. VISUALLY IMPAIRED USERS
--------------------------

Q.  Most modern screen readers don't need BIOS screen writes, so why
    should I take that option?
    --------------------------

A.  That allows Net-Tamer to control what gets spoken to you. You would
    not want to hear the clock counting the seconds in the terminal
    screen, for instance.

Q.  What else should I know?
    ------------------------

A.  You should blank the 25th line of the terminal screen, during an
    auto run. The status line is sent to the bios, but it will yak you 
    to death as well as slow down things. Peek it occasionally to see 
    what is going on, so you will know the program is not stuck.

Q.  I need a Dos Screen reader! Can you help me?
    --------------------------------------------

A.  Here's a few URLs for various screen reader demos.

        Artic Technologies:

        http://www.artictech.com

        GW Micro has a demo for free:

        http://www.gwmicro.com

        Microtalk ASAP:

        http://www.microtalk.com

    There's more Dos Speech URLs at:

        http://www.cnib.ca/sandp/techaids/DOSspeech.htm

VI. PALM TOP USERS
------------------

Q.  What are the "minimum" files required for my palm top drive? After
    all space is not unlimited!
    ---------------------------

A.  You only need: nettamer.exe, reader.exe, red.com, and one login
    script. Service*.log for example. Anything else the program needs,
    it will generate. After installation, the reader.exe file can be 
    removed, but you will not be able to read messages, if you do 
    this, only "surf".

    It seems that you might need reader.exe now for the palmtop, so if
    you delete it and Net-Tamer fusses, put it back. I'll know more
    about this soon. I hope.

VII. XT/286 Users
-----------------

Q.  What is the XT version missing?
    -------------------------------

A.  There is no mouse support, inline graphics support, or sound support.
    Otherwise, you can do anything else the "big boys" can<G>. The XT
    doesn't change to the editor's directory when invoking the message
    editor.

    If you have a CGA monitor you may want to try the Palmtop version
    since the XT version considers video to be a monochrome screen! The
    beta 1.09XT version is supposed to support inline graphics on a EGA
    or better monitor.

VIII.  OTHER SOFTWARE, TRICKS and INFO
--------------------------------------

Q.  Sometimes I need to use a service that Net-Tamer doesn't support,
    my ISP doesn't support or I can't figure out. Is there some other
    server or mechanism I can use?
    ------------------------------

Q.  I am presently on a mail only system! What can I do?
    ----------------------------------------------------

A.  Bob Rankin wrote a FAQ on Internet Access by using only E-mail!
    See the suggested reading list at the end of this FAQ.

Q.  The Net-Tamer DOCs mention different Editors and Spelling Checkers.
    Where can I find those programs?
    --------------------------------

A.  Here is a list of programs you might want to add to or use with
    Net-Tamer! Please help us find good URLs for these! For now check:

Q.  How can I use a Zip Drive with my XT?
    -------------------------------------

A.  Here's a file with some hints on how to do it.

        http://www.inti.be/hammer/zip-tip.htm

    And here's a DOS Zip-Drive driver but, you have to E-Mail the German
    distributor to get a restricted demo-version of the Palmzip ZipDrive
    driver.

        http://home.t-online.de/home/stefan.kaechele/

Q.  Why can't I run the 386 version on my classic AT?
    -------------------------------------------------

A.  Well, you can (I'm told). With the help of a emulator for 286-type
    computers enabling them to run programs written to use the 386 op codes.

        http://www.jasapersada.com/personal/epr/

--------------------------------------------
| Some text editors that can do word wrap. |
--------------------------------------------

UEDIT      ftp://sunsite.ust.hk/pub/simtel/msdos/editor/ued19c.zip

SEDIT      ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/editor/sedit110.zip

QEDIT      ftp://archie.au/pc/garbo/pc/editor/tsejr4.zip

    I'm now told: "QEdit has been renamed "The Semware Editor Jr" and the
    current shareware version is available as the filename "tsejr4.zip".

SLED       <????>

BREEZE     http://www.nettamer.net/other.html
    Is this still good???

TEDIT      http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

VEDIT      http://www.vedit.com

    Vedit can handle very large files (like 2 gig. I think they claim)! It
    will work on the Usenet.for and usenet.rec files fine (unless they get
    bigger yet)!

----------------------
| Enhanced mail/news |
----------------------

Ntlserv    http://www.net-connect.net/~tomburl

    Very small `footprint' program to automatically move messages to a
    different *.dlu file according to a specified message line. Shareware
    from Tom Burleigh!

    ie:      From: [email-masked] or To: joex@bbs

Killfile   http://www.net-connect.net/~tomburl

    A little program that will take a message and delete it according to a
    specified message line. From Tom Burleigh!

    ie:      From: [email-masked] or `a4ltrword'

READMAIL   ftp://ftp.halcyon.com/pub/waffle/mail/rmail41.zip

    This is a reader only and you need a setup file for it. If you can't get
    it set up I'll file attach a setup file to you.

ReRead     http://www.inti.be/hammer

    Another reader program with extra features! From Heimo Claasen!

Maildate   http://www.inti.be/hammer/maildat.zip

    A little helper for batch driven mail downloads with Net-Tamer that will
    modify the Mail.dlu file name by adding the current day/month in its root
    filename and a running number. Resulting in a file name like
    "mailDDMM.#", useful for batch mail fetching and archiving.

    ReRead will work with these files or change that to mailDDMM.dlu to use
    with Net-Tamer.

SNIPPER    ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/simtelnet/msdos/screen/snippr26.zip

    TSR Program that will mark and copy text while you're reading mail.
    You can mark text and will be prompted for a filename to save to and/or
    append to. Saving text to a internal buffer or printer is also possible.

------------------
| Spell Checkers |
------------------

SHARESPELL http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

GDSPELL    http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

-----------------
| File handling |
-----------------

Readit(2.8)  ftp://ftp.coast.net/coast/msdos/handicap/readit28.zip

Readit(3.5)  http://www.fergusonenterprises.com/prog_html/prog.html

Binhex Decoder  http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

    You'll need this if you have friends who are Macintosh users!

Kaos File Scrambler  http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

Sortit.exe http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

    This is a helper application for sorting tagline files or your
    address.lst and other sequential files!

Ntbinary   <Tom Burleigh> http://www.net-connect.net/~tomburl

    A very nice shareware program that will check a message file and move a
    attached binary out of it plus do additional file handling to prepare the
    resultant file for decoding!

Pkzip      (check a local BBS if you don't already have it)

    Phil Katz's famous file compression/de-compression program! It's almost a
    must have for installing programs, sharing files and/or working with
    archives! You probably already have it.

Shez       ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/arcutil/shez109.zip

    This is a very nice, handy program to assist in zip/unziping,
    uucoding/uudecoding and/or checking, fixing or updating `zip' archived
    files.

BGFAX      http://www.blkbox.com/~bgfax

    BGfax can answer your phone via a fax modem to receive faxes. It has fax
    sending utilities. When run as a `front end' program can fire up 
    Net-Tamer to do multiple automatic on line sessions for different user 
    accounts! Like once each hour!

McAfee Antivirus    ftp://ftpweb.mcafee.com/pub/

    This is a well respected Anti-Virus Shareware program that will search
    your active drives and check for boot sector, stealth and other Virus
    that may infect your system.

--------------
| HTML Tools |
--------------

Htm2txt    http://www.nettamer.net/other.html

    Converts html documents to text files by removing the html tags and
    headers!

HTMSTRIP (HTMST708.ZIP)

+          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/2414

    Also, converts html documents to text files by Removing the html tags and
    headers!

VIEWHTML (viewht24.zip)

+          ftp://eddie.mit.edu/pub/hp95lx/NEW/hv.zip

    I haven't tried it but will ASAP since I hear it's not bad as a viewer!
    AFAIK, Reader will do the same task! (FTP://SimtelNet has it as
    /msdos/html/viewht24.zip)

Knots  I need a URL for this one. Anybody?

HList   http://www.tennyo.org/martin/index.html

    Martin Goebbel's fast and neat Html offline browser.

------------------------
| Hardware Diagnostics |
------------------------

MSD        comes with newer versions of Dos

Modem Doctor

Hdtest

Chksys

-----------------------------------
| Other Programs by David Colston |
-----------------------------------

The following programs use the Net-Tamer stand-alone internet access routines.
Configure with a *.INI file and Internet savvy users are required. These are
not shareware and do not come with pretty wrappers or long, detailed
documentation. Terms are cash or credit card, and the prices given are for
single users! Institutional inquiries are welcome.

Agent Upload
------------

Automated FTP upload program. Will run in 100k of mem. on any 80X86 machine
which supports DOS or a DOS window, a modem, and an internet connection. For
automated web page updates from any directory on your hard drive and zip them,
before sending them, if required. The file size is under 56k.

Net-Mail
--------

Single user version. This is designed for systems where drive space is at a
premium. It will do only two things, get and send email. Supports POP3 and
the new IMAP4 protocol. Comes with a Net-Tamer like reader, but this is not
required, since you can configure it from an INI file, and read the messages
anyway that you choose.

Net-Mail PRO
------------

This is designed to be hooked to other applications, where a programmer needs
to be able to send and receive volumes of email. Can be called with a TSR 
timer, or from another program. Will do an automatic uuencode and/or uudecode
of binary files declared in a messages and has bulk email "BLINDCC" ability
from a single original message.

Call during business hours for rates and technical details. If you write
custom business applications, this is for you.

If I (David Colston) get enough people expressing interest, I will also work
on the following programs:

Net-Forward
-----------

This would get your email and forward messages from selected users to another
address, or send "sorry I'm on vacation" messages to the rest. It would be
totally automated and you would specify the time(s) of day to call and get the
mail and send it back. Screens by message subject would also be possible.

IX. GRAPHICS on the 386
-----------------------

Q.  What about graphics? I have a vga monitor and our other machine
    has a ega! How do I setup Net-Tamer for the Graphics I want?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

A.  Glad you asked. Just read the following text!

---------------------------------
Net-Tamers Graphics Capabilities!
---------------------------------

The 386 and higher version now has 4 graphics states controlled by two
switches. BIOS ON (a toggle set in user setup) and /NOPIX (a command
line switch).

BIOS ON and loaded with the /NOPIX option, shows no graphics and does
not show graphics links.

BIOS ON and loaded WITHOUT the /NOPIX option, does show the graphics
links, but does not show graphics.

BIOS OFF and loaded with the /NOPIX option, shows the page with
graphics fonts but does not show graphics inline.

BIOS OFF and loaded WITHOUT the /NOPIX option, shows the page with
graphics fonts and inline graphics.

    So Remember, when it comes to GRAPHICS:

    If you want full graphics (fonts and pictures) set BIOS OFF!
    Start Net-Tamer normally, WITHOUT the /NOPIX command line switch.

    `BIOS ON' is the `Write To Screen Bios Y or N'  setup option in the
    `Setup user defaults' screen set to YES! And means Net-Tamer writes
    most everything thing to the screen via Standard DOS Bios calls (a
    little slower than writing directly to the screen).

    `BIOS OFF' is also a setup option in the `Setup user defaults' screen
    (set to No)! And means Net-Tamer will write everything thing to screen
    memory. Much Faster!

    And, by the way: 'Graphics' may be nice, but the blind can't read them.

X. SUGGESTED READING
--------------------

Bob Rankin wrote a FAQ on Internet Access by using only E-mail! To
get a copy and/or to find out about Bob's other publications send a
message To:

       [email-masked]

       Enter only the line below in body of message.

       send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

This document is loaded with great tricks and can save you a lot of
time, connection time and just plain work while letting you access
services otherwise unavailable to you.

I produce a HTML list of Free Internet Services and during the holiday
season a list of Christmas Links you might find useful also. Price is
$4.00 US delivered via E-mail for either list.

Internet Request For Comment Documents
--------------------------------------

RFC 821  Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)

RFC 822  Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages

RFC 951  The BootP Protocol

RFC 959  File Transfer Protocol (FTP)

RFC 1036 Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages

RFC 1207 Experienced Internet User FAQ

RFC 1594 New Internet User FAQ

--------------------------------------
The Internet is not difficult, but there is a learning curve to be
negotiated. I've been doing this for a couple years and I'm just now
learning some of the details myself.

There is a Hyper-text tutorial called `The Beginner's Guide to the
Internet'. If you run across it somewhere give it a try. That's what I
started with and it's called `BGI13.zip' on most Shareware cds, FTP
sites or BBS' file areas.

There's also a beginner's tutorial online at:

        http://www.zen.org

And the Electronic Frontiers Foundation's guide at:

        http://www.eff.org

As a new user you should consider the Usenet Newsgroups:

news.groups.questions, news.announce.newusers and news.newusers.questions

---------------------------------
Previous Changes To This Document
---------------------------------

May 98 Version 2.16. Some URL's for beginner's tutorials and cleaned up some
grammatical mistakes. Added a reference to the `Knots' Html tool but I need
a URL.

This may be the last update in text as I switch to a HTML version on its own
site and change a lot of the included data files to separate downloadable
text files. The Usenet version will still be available and maintained I'm
just changing methods and attempting to reduce the size of this thing.

March 98 Version 2.15 Just a few address and phone number changes. Minor
update.

Feb. 98 Version 2.14 Changes marked with a `*'! Added FTP.get file layout
info! Discussion on NNTP `423' errors! Added info on file attachments and
decoding! Also a tip on using a PIF in Windows to allow the `ALT-ESC key
combination to work! Some formatting work! Added a URL for Heimo Classen's
Reread Program!

Jan. 98 Version 2.13 Changes marked with a `%'! Changed the `where to find
this FAQ section to `stand alone' when used as a response or notice of
posting! Added info about ISPs with more than one phone number. Also info
on working with more than one POP3 account! (The same trick may be used for
multiple News Servers! Added a URL for Vedit! And a question on the need
for differing modem speeds with some hardware setups!

Dec. 97 Version 2.12 changes marked with a `+'! Added a little discussion
about deleting mail! Also added info about header `munging' and adding
header lines to the stock headers. Added a URL for Viewhtml! Some other
odds and ends and the Raplayer tip for using Net-Tamer to grab Real Audio
files then play them off line!

Nov. 97 Version 2.11 Added a list of `Emoticons', those symbols used to
indicate feelings and facial expressions! Some minor reformatting! URL for
BGFAX! A URL for a WEB page where the `editgrp' program can be found! New
URL for the Net-Tamer home page. Note about mouse support no longer available
in the 1.10 versions! Note about the mark and save feature in 1.10 reader!

Oct. 97 Version 2.10 A further attempt to clarify usenet newsgroups
command! Added a URL (Yahoo) to find a current public usenet server list!
Changed addresses for The Colston's new (Florida) address! Added my views
on editing the usenet.rec file. Some `more capable' users may disagree
but I want to keep users out of trouble if I can <VBG>! There is a utility
being developed to help Edit the Usenet.Rec file and I'll try to post a
URL just as soon as its released!

Added some diagnostic type programs to the list of programs at the end!
Included a question about a digest version of the Net-Tamer Mailing List!
Also, a small section about using Net-Tamer with a Local Area Network!

Sept. 97 Version 2.09 Tried to clarify info about Usenet (the get new
groups list command)! Added a question about real audio to explain the
reason for no real audio support! The 1.10 beta is working (386 only) but
users are reporting some problems!

A lot of positive talk on the Net-Tamer list has prompted me to include
a URL for HTMSTRIP in the `file handling' section!

AUG. 97 version 2.08 Chris Colston is trying to use one of the phone
numbers given in earlier versions to accept FAXES for her business so I
changed the phone number.

Speaking of Faxes, you might want to look at BGfax as your Fax software.
This will let the modem answer a phone line and accept Faxes. It will also
run Net-Tamer for you multiple times of the day and with command lines to
allow multiple users to automatically get their mail and news. And it will
send and read FAXES!

Also added a entry on the setup Template for the `set PC to server time'
function!

July 97 version 2.07 added warning about upgrades and betas. Also a
entry about getting the latest FAQ via E-mail. And a note on RFC 959
the FTP RFC. Added a section on reading Web Pages while off-line. I'm
right happy with the content now but I would like to hear from users
who have trouble receiving this or reading it because of the length!

June 97 Added new mail address for Net-Tamer and E-mail address for Chris
Colston. The Ftp section is very good now IMHO 8-) Also stuck in a URL
for TEDIT (on Dave's home page). I swapped around the changes listing!

May 97 Fixed a few errors, PLEASE Note new address for the Net-Tamer
mailing list. Added a url for Readit after a flurry of messages occurred
on the new mailing list. Pointer for RFC 1206 added (new users Q & A)
and RFC 1207 (experienced users Q & A).

Mar. 97 Worked on the Usenet section some! Added More info on FTP and
WEB downloading. Was informed the Net-Tamer list server would close
on April 15.

FEB. 97 Renumber Sections and added a setup template. Added section on
Setup troubleshooting. Added section on ON/OFF line operations. Added
Section on login Script files. Changed setup to cover 386 and XT versions.
Added Disclaimer Text! PLEASE READ IT!

Jan. 97 Added info about the "M.I.T." archive site and updated the
section on how to get this FAQ and some other notes pertaining to the
FAQ itself. I'm working on the usenet setup section, so check it out
and I would appreciate any comments. Added some info on mail file
creation! Added some formatting and "white space" while underlining the
questions! Added the commands from the F2 online screen and their alt
key equivalents.

Dec. 96 Added section on how to post to the Net-Tamer Mailing List:
Expanded some operational info: Added some URLs for programs: Added
the changes list from the docs for the 1.08 beta:

Nov. 96 General Reformat: Added section V. on Other Programs: Added
section VI. on Graphics: Enhanced the setup information:

                   CONTACTING THE SOFTWARE AUTHOR
                   ------------------------------

For software questions or help:
[email-masked] (Uncle Dave's New E-mail Address)

[email-masked] (Chris Colston's New E-mail Address)

New (as of Oct. 1998) Mailing Address and Voice Phone:

Net-Tamer, Inc.
9989 West Atlantic Blvd.
Coral Springs, FL 33071-6575
Voice (954) 341-4885
FAX   (954) 341-0229

Support hours are from 6:00AM to 6:00PM EST.

For FAQ related Questions or help:
[email-masked] (Jeff Hawkins)