Subject: dired and ~ interaction lossage

From: Peter Blicher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:37:52 -0400

I had the impression that I saw this on the mailing list at some point, but
I can't find it in the archives.

If I create a dired of my home directory (which is C:/) by doing dired on
"~/", and then to examine ('e') a file or dir in that dired (i.e. something
in C:/*.*), the attempt fails because for some reason dired tries to use
the current directory (i.e. working directory) rather than C:/ to look in
for the file that dired is pointing at.

However, if I run dired asking for "C:/" (rather than "~/"), then my
attempts to examine from that dired buffer are successful.  However, trying
to come back up via examining ".." get me back to a dired invoked on "~/"
again, which exhibits the pathological behavior.

I've been trying to figure out what expand-file-name really does, but I
tire of reading obscure c code.

This is on nt 3.51, sp4, ntemacs 19.31.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--peter

-- 
A. Peter Blicher	NEC Research Institute
609-951-2716		4 Independence Way
609-951-2488 fax	Princeton, NJ  08540