Subject: RE: Disabled exclamation point key

From: Christian Sperr <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jan 97 02:21:05 EST

Patrick, 

I have the same problem and think it has to do with the handling of 'dead' keys.
The solution for me (until it will eventually come to work as it should) is that
I assign the exclamation point to alt-$ for text
and reassign it in the query-replace-map with 'a'. That way I don't loose much
functionality. Here's the 
lisp-code I use for these assignements:

(global-set-key " " "\C-q041")

with " "=0xa4 and

(define-key query-replace-map "a" 'automatic)
(define-key query-replace-map "A" 'automatic)

Maybe this helps you

Christian Sperr

Patrick Zani wrote:

      Hello.

I am using Emacs 19.34 (running gnuserv) on a PC (swiss keyboard)
running Win95.

I have a problem with the exclamation point character. I am unable to
type this character in any buffer of Emacs. In other applications it's
ok.

Does anyone know what is going on ?

Thanks in advance for the answer(s).

Patrick Zani (e-mail: [email-masked])