Subject: Re: NT-Emacs and ASCII Codes

From: Benedict Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:14:58 -0500 ()

I had tried to set up the standard-european-display, but the erroneous
global-set-key that I had set up to try and make that \ work seems to have
been preventing the rest of the .emacs file from loading properly.  Once I
commented that out, the accents work pretty well.  The only oddity is that
the ' and ` accents, which are designed to be followed by the character to
be accented type the accent and then the accented character in emacs. This
is not true of the ^ and " accent keys which work the same way (and which
are much more useful. I don't actually use the ' and ` keys to produce
accented characters since all the ones I care about are already on the
keyboard, so this is not a problem, just strange.

I also managed to defined emacs commands and bind them to standard key
bindings (eg "\M-b" for \), but I still cannot figure out how to bind them
to alt and the numeric keypad.

Thank you very much for your help,
Beneidct

On Thu 20 Feb 1997, Geoff Voelker wrote:

> have you turned on standard-european-display?  see
> 
> http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html#display-iso
> 
> -geoff
> 
> Benedict Brown writes:
> > I have just recently installed NT-Emacs 19.34 on my system, and it seems
> > to generally work quite well.  However, there are some peculiarities of my
> > system that are causing problems.  I use a Belgian keyboard layout with a
> > programmable US keyboard (a Gateway 2000 AnyKey to be precise).  This
> > means that I do not have the 102nd key, which is in my case the backslash
> > and angle brackets.  To account for this I have programmed spare keys to
> > send the ASCII codes for these characters (092 for "\", 060 for <, and 062
> > for >), and this works quite well in every program except emacs, which
> > completely ignores them.  It also chokes on accented characters typed
> > directly from the keyboard, typing instead a backslash followed by a
> > three-digit code which seems to have no bearing to the character (some of
> > them are above 255).  I tried adding
> >   (global-set-key "\M-kp-9\M-kp-2" (insert 92))
> > to my .emacs file to deal with the backslash, but the program doesn't like
> > \M-kp-9 as a key binding.  Any help you could give me with this problem
> > I would appreciate (the accented characters are not really important, but
> > without the \ or <> characters, it is quite impossible to do anything but
> > simple text editing which is problematic).  This is my first time with
> > emacs, so I am not very familiar with it, although I do know ANSI
> > Common-LISP.
> > 
> > Sincerely,
> > Benedict Brown
>

---

From: Benedict Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:14:58 -0500 ()

That is correct: hitting 'e should produce and e-acute, and hitting ^e
should produce an e-curcumflex.  But in emacs 'e produces 'e-acute, `e
produces `e-grave, and ~n produces ~n-tilda, although ^e and "e don't
reproduce the accent. As I said though, I never actually use the '`~
accent keys.
Benedict

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Geoff Voelker wrote:

> I'm not quite sure if I followed the '` and ^" discussion just
> right...is it that the '` and ^" are both used in the same way to
> produce accented characters, but '` aren't being handled correctly?
> 
> -geoff
>