Subject: PC/Anywhere and GNU Emacs

From: Nathaniel Mishkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:07:39 -0500

I just picked up an evaluation copy of Symantec's PC/Anywhere product.  (For
those of you who don't know, PC/Anywhere is a product that lets your
"remotely control" a remote NT or Win95 system from an NT or Win95 system.
I.e., the client gets a window that presents an image of the contents of the
remote system's display and things you type into that window get sent to the
remote system.)  It seems to work OK (if a bit slowly) with several apps
I've tried to use, but GNU Emacs exhibits some unusual behavior:  control
keys don't seem to be getting seen by Emacs.  I _can_ use the mouse to move
the (block) cursor around the Emacs buffer.  And if I type control
characters to other apps (e.g., Dev Studio) and to console windows (where
they echo as ^X, ^F, etc.) they get seen.

Anyone have any ideas on why Emacs should behave differently?

                -- Nat Mishkin
                   Pure Atria

---

From: Nathaniel Mishkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:24:00 -0500

At 12:52 PM 2/22/97 -0800, Geoff Voelker wrote:
>Emacs checks whichever bit is supposed to be set for key presses when
>the control key is also pressed to determine whether the control
>modifier should be set.  I don't know why this wouldn't be set in this
>system, but apparently not.

Thanks for following up, but it turns out that the problem went away when I
started a new Emacs process (as opposed to the one that was in existence
prior to my connecting to the system).  Of course, I have no idea why that
should matter, but given that it seems like a small miracle that PC/Anywhere
works at all I wasn't going to bother myself (or the list) with more noise
on the topic.

If it starts happening again (and in a way I can't work around), I''ll try
your suggestion and report back.

                -- Nat